Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote from an above link by a anonymous avid employee !!! Wow

Some of you are making 7 figures while the company is unprofitable.
Even if you sell off pieces of the company to put enough cash in the bank to allow what's left a fighting chance,

_You_Are_Not_The_Right_People_ to lead that business.
Our customers deserve better.
Our shareholders deserve better.
We deserve better.

And the Board? If you are a shareholder - clean house. Put in some directors who understand what a great company is - and who want Avid to get back to that spot. There are still enough passionate employees to turn it around if anyone would listen.

And to think people believe that we are hard on avid here on this site !!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnacle Lines!!!

I made note in another thread that when PT10 came out that it was the beginning move of Avid shedding the consumer level products and moving back to the original professional level products only business model.

The release of version 10 with it's upgrade price tag so soon after version 9 was designed to shed home use people who previously complained that $149.99 was too much for an upgrade... We already know that Version 11 is slated to cut off all of the consumer level user hardware from M-Audio, LE and possibly the Eleven Rack...

I think Avid see's this as a way to do a better job supporting the serious professional and not having to mess around with the consumer level products that it has been struggling to keep up with feature wise.

I think the point they might be missing is the number of professionals that rely on the consumer level gear to make up cost and schedule overruns on small to medium projects.

Typically the business model that limits flexibility in a volatile market, loses the bet and dies off rather quickly. Flying the "Industry Standard" flag and offering only high end gear and software is great as long as the list of competitors is relatively short.

The other part of the equation is how selling off subdivisions and product realignments are often tax loophole ploys to write off "bad investments" and give you cash to reorganize into a more "Lean" corporation... typically there are 5 year cycles to write offs.

Who knows how this all going to play out in the end. This may strengthen the consumer equivalent and make it more competitive with Vegas and Reaper while allowing the professionals to have a product better suited for them.
Digidesign 003R+PTLE 8.0.4 DV Toolkit 2, ASUS P5Q Pro P45, CPU INTEL Q6600 2.40G, CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ATI Radeon™ X1550 DIAMOND Stealth PCIe 1 Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA Hard Drive (Root/Sys) 1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA Hard Drive (Audio/Video) 1 PPA 80GB 1394 Firewire Oxford 911 PYRO PCI64R2 3 Port Firewire Card (PCIe) Antec 300 case. PSU ROSEWILL RP600V2-S-SL 600W,
Windows 7 64 bit.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwhitney View Post
I made note in another thread that when PT10 came out that it was the beginning move of Avid shedding the consumer level products and moving back to the original professional level products only business model.

The release of version 10 with it's upgrade price tag so soon after version 9 was designed to shed home use people who previously complained that $149.99 was too much for an upgrade... We already know that Version 11 is slated to cut off all of the consumer level user hardware from M-Audio, LE and possibly the Eleven Rack...

I think Avid see's this as a way to do a better job supporting the serious professional and not having to mess around with the consumer level products that it has been struggling to keep up with feature wise.

I think the point they might be missing is the number of professionals that rely on the consumer level gear to make up cost and schedule overruns on small to medium projects.

Typically the business model that limits flexibility in a volatile market, loses the bet and dies off rather quickly. Flying the "Industry Standard" flag and offering only high end gear and software is great as long as the list of competitors is relatively short.

The other part of the equation is how selling off subdivisions and product realignments are often tax loophole ploys to write off "bad investments" and give you cash to reorganize into a more "Lean" corporation... typically there are 5 year cycles to write offs.

Who knows how this all going to play out in the end. This may strengthen the consumer equivalent and make it more competitive with Vegas and Reaper while allowing the professionals to have a product better suited for them.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
All I wanted from the HDX/PT10 announcements:

- Hardware capable of 32 I/O in about 2 rack spaces, hook to laptop or desktop via Thunderbolt.
- New system that could run obsolete HD plugins in software emulation (slow but would allow recall of old sessions with old plugs)
- 2X-3X the power of HD3

I had money ready to go for an external Thunderbolt HD box, like the 192 they showed connected directly to a Mac in an Intel LightPeak demo.

The calls for a mid-level HD system went out for years. Yes they introduced HD Native, but it's really a Digi001 that can plug into expensive interfaces. With much the same I/O limitations as the interfaces had in 2002. And it can't run any HD plugins.
I had an "All I wanted" list too. I think Russ is spot on here...

Quote:
"I sat down to eat with an Avid Executive a couple of weeks ago and he asked me to suggest what might be the future path of success, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t that he didn’t know himself, he was just curious to hear what I thought. I simply said two words ‘Innovation’ and ‘Generosity’, both have been lacking at Avid for some time - now they have another chance and putting that right. Innovation is pretty self-explanatory, but what I mean by generosity is not, as some may wish, giving stuff away for free, but being known for going the extra mile, be that in design, sales or service - surprising the customer by giving them more than they expect always gives a good return on investment." -Russ Hughes, Pro Tools Expert

Professionals use PT Native and HD and IMO lack of Innovation and Generosity for users of both systems play a part of recent events. A good start for Avid in the future would be as Bob Olhsson said here. What stands out in his post, and also ties into what Russ said is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
People seem to forget this was the world's very first audio DSP plug-in format. Everything else came later and was able to learn from digidesign's shortcomings.

The 64 bit version of Pro Tools will be the first complete break with that legacy and is an opportunity for Avid to learn from everybody else.
Hopefully PT11 will reflect Bob and Russ' views, which I totally agree with.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
- New system that could run obsolete HD plugins in software emulation (slow but would allow recall of old sessions with old plugs)
This is something that would make these upgrades so much easier for people. It really sucks when you have a TDM plugin the cost $100's of dollars that won't work anymore if you upgrade. I'd love to be able to recall old sessions that used now obsolete TDM plugins, even if the performance was crappy it would at least let you make a small tweak to the plugin if you ever have to re-visit and old project. This has been a problem since long before HDX.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Vegas really isn't a daw but a video editor with some audio capabilities and like any other Sony product is Windoze only despite what the Mac rumors sites are saying about a possible move to OSX. So PT being competitive with it is a non-starter especially for Mac folks.

QAPLA!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnicle Lines!!!

I'm just gonna jump in and say...

Bye bye Avid.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Question Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnacle Lines!!!

Right with you Jeff.......

I said all these things plus .... but when I posted I was attacked by people who spend 24/7 on this site and all they own is a M-box. For the amount of time w/o an upgrade from Avid and the studio's with large systemS expecting all the things you posted it was very disappointing. The rack mount unit was exactly what I posted months ago where you wouldn't have to depend on a computer format but we got another PCIe card.....

What really pisses me off is that the POST HOUSE prima donna's that post on this site which are in the Avid video pushing their propaganda on how this is the greatest software upgrade and worth every penny! These are people who directing Avid what was needed for them to upgrade ..........so trite..

We shall see what rolls out but it doesn't look good at this point and again I can say that "now I know why Waves didn't upgrade to AAX"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
All I wanted from the HDX/PT10 announcements:

- Hardware capable of 32 I/O in about 2 rack spaces, hook to laptop or desktop via Thunderbolt.
- 2X-3X the power of HD3

I had money ready to go for an external Thunderbolt HD box, like the 192 they showed connected directly to a Mac in an Intel LightPeak demo.

The calls for a mid-level HD system went out for years. Yes they introduced HD Native, but it's really a Digi001 that can plug into expensive interfaces. With much the same I/O limitations as the interfaces had in 2002. And it can't run any HD plugins.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
We already know that Version 11 is slated to cut off all of the consumer level user hardware from M-Audio, LE and possibly the Eleven Rack...
That not accurate. There is no reason I can think of that the Eleven Rack won't be supported (ie. actually work and be officially supported by Avid) in Pro Tools 11 and I have never heard of Avid even hinting it won't be supported. And some recent "LE" interfaces, including early Mbox 3 versions that shipped with Pro Tools 8 LE are expected to work with Pro Tools 11.

In the big picture Pro Tools 11 should be in a good place for prosumers/smaller and project studios/non-HD users with hopefully wide support for Avid Mbox 3, Avid Eleven Rack and importantly a huge number of third party interfaces, running as 64 bit code with 64 bit drivers on modern 64 bit platforms.

Darryl
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Avid employees have specifically said on these forums the 11R is still staying in the lineup. And in the press release they stated that the new Mboxes are staying with Avid, and even the new Fast Track units.