Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Anybody archiving to DVD Rom?

Lacie

I've seen em less expensive than this page, but am wondering if it's reliable. I can't archive to CDR because it's sketchy.

Any thoughts?
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 06-06-2002, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Anybody archiving to DVD Rom?

I use my DVD-R drive like I used my CDRW drive with no problems to report. It seemed to me to be the next step in file management devices. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 06-06-2002, 10:32 PM

BTW I have a Pioneer DVR-A04.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 06-07-2002, 12:33 AM

Hey Electrobank. How do you like that drive?? I was thinking about getting a Firewire version of that same drive.
Carl
Old 06-07-2002, 02:29 PM

My next backup solution will definitely be DVD... at the moment, computer internal IDE combo DVD/CDRW drives seem to be a bit under $500, with disks going for as low as $10 - 15 each. Considering the amount of storage per disk, CD-RW's are still less expensive per MB of storage, but that's going to be changing soon as DVD disk prices drop. And the ease of having everything for a whole project (or song, in the case of larger songs) on a single disk instead of having to break your audio folders down to two and "span" across multiple disks is a nice plus.

I'd say that they will hit critical mass insofar as broad consumer acceptance and market penetration once the prices for drives hit the $250 range or so. But they're definitely the mass market removeable media / backup format of the future...

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:01 AM

Well since its my first DVDR Drive, I guess it works fine. In many ways it is just like having a really big ass CDRW disk. The data transfer rates are fast and everything runs smooth and stable.
I have no complaints.......so far.
I have yet to really dive into video or 5.1 audio with it yet. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 06-08-2002, 12:18 AM

I've got he Hewlitt-Packard dvd100i (i think). It works great and I like it much better than having to put songs on multiple cds. The only downside I think with DVD drives right now is the price.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:11 AM

Yeah, But what happens when you can't retrieve all of the files you stored on them? This is what I'm worried about....

I recorded an album that is 74 minutes long and I archived it to 25 CDR's (2 cdr's per song) I went about 6 months later to get files off some of the discs and was unable to retrieve the tune, the laser couldn't read the files. The cd's sat in a case for the whole duration, not being touched. The discs were burned at 8x. I don't think I did anything wrong. I've heard several golden ears speak of never burning faster than 1x, which would've taken a month to archive that record.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 06-09-2002, 01:37 AM

I have the Pioneer A03. Works great and is much faster than my old CD drive (yamaha) considering the capacity it copies.

The ability to make CDR's is also very useful, so you don't lose out on the compatability.