Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2024, 12:35 PM

Default HDX AES/EBU output.

I have seen a few HDX interfaces without any I/O cards at a reasonable price. On these units, it the AES/EBU I/O still active? I would like to use the digital I/O as an output to a grace m905 monitor system. I am using a Lynx Aurora as my A/D D/A but I'd like my monitoring chain not to leave the digital domain until it reaches the Grace.

I'm on a 2019 MacPro with one HD card.

Thanks for your thoughts!
96GB Memory
Old 02-15-2024, 01:32 PM

Default Re: HDX AES/EBU output.

Being clear with descriptions and exact product names would help.

Why is "HDX" in the title and body here? You mean an Avid HD I/O box with no I/O cards installed in it? There is nothing specific in any Digilink interface box about HDX.

You have a Lynx Aurora connected via Digilink to an Avid HD Native card? What exact model Aurora (8? 16? or Aurora (n)?). The Aurora 8/16 have AES/EBU on them,... is that all already in use? Or do you have an Aurora (n)? And if you have an Aura (n) 16x16 analog why not just add an LM-DIG card? And config of an Aurora (n) matters here to know if you have any more downstream Digilink capacity to add other I/O boxes.

I *think* that a HD I/O chassis might work with chassis I/O only and no I/O cards installed but am not totally sure. Maybe others will know, but if you had to go to a HD I/O box you could always pick up one with I/O card in it. All this stuff is cheap and only getting cheaper as the Digilink ecosystem dies. But why that is interesting to get AES/EBU at all is not clear given you have some form of Lynx Aurora/Aurora (n) box.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:48 PM

Sorry... HDX system. Aurora (n) 16/16 as A/D D/A (no AES/EBU) that connects to the computer via digilink. I'm considering an Avid HD I/O with no cards installed for the sole purpose of using the AES/EBU digital output to a Grace m905 for monitoring.

I hope that's a clearer description of what I'm attempting to do.
96GB Memory
Old 02-15-2024, 10:17 PM

Gotcha, thanks.

Then I would just get a LM-DIG AES/EBU card for your Auroa (n). Simple integrated, known to work, lots more connectivity for other uses in futures, not expensive, no fan, no wasted rack space, no old past sale life Avid hardware, and it gives you the option of adding an ADAT module on top of this.

https://vintageking.com/lynx-studio-...aes-i-o-module

And since you have a HDX card then you have two master Digilink ports so configuring the Aurora (n) with the LM-DIG will eat all the connectivity on one DigiLink port bit still leaves you with the other port.