Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 07:12 PM

Default 001 analog outs....

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I'm trying to diagnose a problem.

I've noticed over the years that when I print an analog mix into the 001's S/PDIF in (from a Finalizer as my A/D) and monitor PT via analog 1-2 outs, in Low Latency mode, my mix sounds one way, and then when I listen to playback, it has lost a little something. A little less fullness in the bottom, maybe it's a little hazy. It's subtle, but it's noticeable.

Obviously using Low Latency mode is allowing me to hear my input signal uncolored, while the straight playback is actually playing back the file I've recorded, as it's converted through the 001's A/Ds.

Can someone with experience tell me whether I'm crazy or not? Are the 001's A/Ds really as thin and one-dimensional as I fear, or is it some other issue? Should I invest in a dedicated A/D like a DAC-1 and use that for monitoring via the S/PDIF out? Is it a clock issue? Someone must have experience with this situation.

Someone shed some light, because it's starting to depress me!

Roger
Old 09-02-2004, 07:06 AM

Default Re: 001 analog outs....

Since no one else has followed up, I will.

I spoke to someone who mentioned that it's best to not use Low Latency mode and that my buffer size is set to the highest setting.

He also answered my question about whether something like a DAC-1 would help, and apparently it helps loads.

I worry about whether clocking issues are hurting my mixes or whether mixing INTO PT is a bad idea, in the fear that it messes with the phase relationship of a stereo mix.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Roger
Old 09-02-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Obviously using Low Latency mode is allowing me to hear my input signal uncolored, while the straight playback is actually playing back the file I've recorded, as it's converted through the 001's A/Ds.

this doesn´t make sense. whether or not low latency your inputsignal is D/Aed on the way out.

if our record it while being in the box or rout it directly to the outs is of no meaning to for the sound itself, since it´s A/Ded in and then D/aed on the way out whatever you do meanwhile.
That is since you use the s/pdif on the way in it alway goes out the 001 analog outs, as I understand you.

a BETTER wordclock and a BETTER external DAC will result in better recordings.
The question is if these options adresses your problem.

You might be more precise on the finalizer you use.
Maybe the problem is some probs the internal/external clock source in your PT setup.

regs
Old 09-02-2004, 10:55 AM

The DAC-1 is a huge improvement in sound quality over the 001's analog outs, the headphone amps sound fantastic, and the volume pot is lovely. Best money I've ever spent.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Can someone with experience tell me whether I'm crazy or not? Are the 001's A/Ds really as thin and one-dimensional as I fear, or is it some other issue?
run a line level signal into your analog 3/4 inputs, create an aux track with 3/4 as your inputs, you can now compare the 001's AD DA to unaltered signal by using the monitor mode switch

If you can hear a significant difference it may be time to consider an external AD DA.

RME worked for us.

Cheers,