Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Dead External Drive?

Yesterday I consolidated my iTunes Library to my external drive. In the middle of it all, my computer completely froze. When the computer restarted, my external would no longer MOUNT ! I can only run Pro Tools smoothly thru that drive. All my sessions are on the that drive. And plenty of other valuable data. I got 50% backed up on disc's, but im worried about the rest that I didnt back up. Is my external dead? Can I bring it back to life? Can my data be saved? I tried Disk Utilities/Repair Permissions and the problem was 1.Catalog file entry not found for extent. 2. Volume check failed.

My Specs
Powerbook G4 867MHZ 512RAM
MAC OSX 10.2.8
PRO TOOLS 6.1.2
OWC MERCURY ELITE 7200rpm 0xford 911 Chipset.. Firewire Drive "Connected thru a Firewire 400"

Someone please tell me some good news.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Dead External Drive?

Get Tech Tool Pro or Norton Utilities.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 AM

Check the simple stuff first - change out the FW cable, zap the PRAM, rebuild the desktop, etc. You might get lucky. Otherwise it could just be a directory structure prob, which Norton can fix (but then back everything up immediately).

There are data service folks that will extract your data from a crashed HD, but it is a hideously expensive process.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 10-29-2004, 09:27 AM

for sure check the simple stuff, but if DU's telling you you have a directory problem, then you probably have. I suggest you get Disk Warrior 3 from Alsoft, you can download it for about $60 and the CD will follow in the mail. Since it isn't your boot drive with the problem, you don't need the CD right now. I wouldn't use Norton! DW works differently from Norton, and I've seen many reports of Norton doing more harm than good. Which is not to say that it can't fix things, it just might, but it might think it can fix it and goes ahead making changes to the directory, only to find that in fact it really can't fix things. But now it's too late, the directory is damaged beyond recovery. I'd use DW3 first, TechToolPro4 next (or Drive10), and Norton as a last resort.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:44 AM

Thanks guys for your help. Atleast I know that I do have "some" hope. Looks like im gonna have to piss the wife off by buying something computer/music related. Since I can only buy 1 thing, looks like Disk Warrior is a must. I spoke with the Tech Support Guy from Alsoft and he said the problem im having is very common with DW users. So my other question would be, when DW repairs the drive, would my data still be on there? Would Pro Tools still Record/Edit smoothly on it? Would my drive be carrying a small war scar or blemish or is it gonna be back to normal? Thanks again fella's I really appreciate it. And Maccool are you the same guy thats on Mac Addict forums?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:32 AM

I once had the same kind of problem, I tried Norton and disk warrior, none of them could help me.
The only software wich brought back my files on the dead FW hard drive was Data Rescue X, incredible piece of software.

Hope you'll have your data back.
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 10-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Just baught the DiskWarrior, and im not a happy camper. During the Middle of the Rebuild process, when its in Step 5 Locating Directories, my Drive just hangs and the external sounds something like a old typewriter. It does this till i force quit . 95 bucks down the drain. On the manual it said to reinstall external hd drivers, and reformat the external drive. It also says to save all the data. Now would data rescue x help me retrieve my files/data from a external hd thats basically having spasm's? And if by the grace of god i do get access to the data from this epileptic drive, how I would I go about reformating it? And when im desparate, can I just erase the External HD and reuse it, instead of buying another one?

I got over 100 Pro tools sessions, 50 Reason Sessions, 1000 mp3's on that drive! Please help?
Old 10-30-2004, 08:28 AM

Communist,

I'm sorry DW didn't do it for you, but it's still one of the drive utilities of choice for the Mac. If it hanged at step 5 then nothing was done to the drive, and it's still in the shape it was when you started. I recently had a similar problem with an internal drive after a forced restart, and DW behaved as you described. A subsequent attempt at repairing it with Drive 10 completely hosed the directory and there was nothing for it but to intialize the volume and wipe all the data on it in the process. Fortunately, all the data on the drive were backed up. I have no experience with data rescue x, others may be able to advise you about that. If you get to the point where the directory is unrepairable, reformatting is easily done with Disk Utility, provided the drive is physically OK. With that much precious material on the drive, you might want to explore the data recovery option, but I have no idea of the cost. If you do get it back, for heaven's sake back it up!

maccool (not from macAddict)
Old 10-30-2004, 07:40 PM

Well I got my foot in my mouth this time. DiskWarrior actually worked out great! I just had to wait a LONG time! But its perfect now. Thanks Guys
Old 11-02-2004, 12:08 PM

I had the exact same problem..except nothing on my drive was important and was backed up...but nothing fixed it..i tried DW, tried initalizing it..nothing..it was dead...i bought disk warrior and am glad i did...it optimizes my drives and I'm fairly sure no other program for panther can..soo good luck with DW.

j