Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Default The application Pro Tools has quit unexpectedly..

Hey guys. Here goes nothing.. I am BRAND NEW to Pro Tools as well as Mac Book computers so I really need some "layman's terms" help here. I'll start off with my system specs..

System:
Mac Book Pro OS X 10.8.5

Processor:
2.6 GHz Intel Core 17

Memory
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Audio Interface:
Avid Fast Track Duo

Midi:
M-Audio Oxygen25 Keyboard

Software Version:
Pro Tools 11.0.2

Okay, so I installed Pro Tools two days ago and have been using it minimally as I've been watching a tutorial on how to use it. Yesterday, I decided to download whatever plugins I saw were available to me without recognizing one of them weren't compatible with my version. I downloaded AIR Creative Collection and AVID Virtual Instruments. I finally was able to install them today and, after installation, reopened Pro Tools. I tried to look for the plugins through the program on a Midi track that I created and the program closed on me. I looked at this forum and saw that plugins are usually the cause of this issue so I double checked my plugins and realized that AVID Virtual Instruments were not compatible with PT '11 so I sent the file folder to my Trash Bin (I have yet to empty). I reopened PT and as soon as I try to navigate anything, it closes again. So I did the same with my AIR CC plugins.. sent them to the trash (once again not emptying because I want to be able to restore them after I assess the issue with this program). When I start PT up I do, however, see the plugins still being recognized on start up. I'm so confused. What should I do guys? Hope I gave enough info. Don't want any more issues just want to get back to my work. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Re: The application Pro Tools has quit unexpectedly..

Secondary hard drive to dedicate for recording?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 PM

No. Just one hard drive.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreat View Post
. . . I am BRAND NEW to Pro Tools as well as Mac Book computers . . . Don't want any more issues just want to get back to my work.
If you are brand new to Pro Tools and brand new to Mac Book computers, what is the work you want to get back to? Need a frame of reference to suggest a jumping off point. You can start working on Pro Tools without VI.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM

Do you have an iLok2 new one and registered it at ilok.com?

Also, the AVID Virtual instruments are compatible with PT11. The one that still os not compatible is the PTIEP and thats a separate purchase of 600-700 usd so the intruments and plugin installer AIR Virtua Instrument that you have got with pro tools 11 contains plugins and instruments for use in PT11.

I suspect something else is wrong rather than the fact that you need a secondary harddrive. What installers have you put in the trash and ilok2? Registered? Have you trashed preferences, plists and all that described here after installing PT11?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

We need this info to be able to do anything for you.
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Yes I have an iLok2 and it is registered. Like i said, the program worked fine until I downloaded the plugins. They are all that I sent to the trash bin. Nothing else. What other information do you need in order to help me. I visited that webpage already and followed it pretty closely, I thought. I gave all of my computer specs and info about my software and hardware. What else do you need to know, specifically?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Yes I have an iLok2 and it is registered. Like i said, the program worked fine until I downloaded the plugins. They are all that I sent to the trash bin. Nothing else. What other information do you need in order to help me. I visited that webpage already and followed it pretty closely, I thought. I gave all of my computer specs and info about my software and hardware. What else do you need to know, specifically?
Hi,

I personally think,that you should do a clean uninstall. That way ProTools software and all your plugins and preferences "should" get deleted.

Then install PT again.

As you are new to this "game" I think this would be the easiest way to get back to a normal working ProTools11.app.

As you wrote you installed "all kind of plugins" it's not easy to say which plugin is causing your problems ... if it is a plugin at all !

Just double check, that your PT-sessions are somewhere at a safe place on your HD.

I would not advice to go thru the usual library, application support, preferences and other folders and trying trashing plugins, plist files etc.

Once you installed PT again and it works, use Labels to color the plugins which were installed with PT. That way, you can easily identify later what was installed AFTER the clean PT install.

Feel free to ask if you need infos bout using Labels and which files you should mark. I will watch this thread.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Have you done all the optimizations needed for PT? There are some that are absolutely necessary for a smooth experience.

Another part of the problem might be is OSX 10.8.5 hasn't gotten the blessing from Avid yet although some are running it no problems (then again those running it have a lot of experience with these types of things). Just downloading plugins shouldn't cause problems.

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 AM

Have you done all the optimizations needed for PT? There are some that are absolutely necessary for a smooth experience.

To echo that, and this may not solve the immediate problem, (although is MIGHT) but it's a necessity still. That secondary hard drive is a MUST. The general operating procedure is, make sure your system is COMPLETELY up to spec. All the troubleshooting in the world won't help if one piece of the chain is missing. Direct from the PT MAC compatibility page:
Additional Requirements
  • iLok 2: Original iLok 1 not supported(see details)
  • Avid Audio Interfaces, Peripherals and Control Surfaces (see details)
  • Audio Drive Requirements: One or More Hard Disk Drives Dedicated for Audio Record and Playback
Trying to record your sessions to the system hard drive is, and always has been, a show stopper.
Hope this helps!!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

I personally think,that you should do a clean uninstall. That way ProTools software and all your plugins and preferences "should" get deleted.

Then install PT again.

As you are new to this "game" I think this would be the easiest way to get back to a normal working ProTools11.app.

As you wrote you installed "all kind of plugins" it's not easy to say which plugin is causing your problems ... if it is a plugin at all !

Just double check, that your PT-sessions are somewhere at a safe place on your HD.

I would not advice to go thru the usual library, application support, preferences and other folders and trying trashing plugins, plist files etc.

Once you installed PT again and it works, use Labels to color the plugins which were installed with PT. That way, you can easily identify later what was installed AFTER the clean PT install.

Feel free to ask if you need infos bout using Labels and which files you should mark. I will watch this thread.
I truly appreciate your input and for deciding to stick with me until this gets fixed. I definitely thought about reinstalling and of course wanted to do everything but. But since the idea has presented itself a second time, i'm taking it as a sign. Lol. Afterall, most of the stuff these guys are saying in here flies completely over my head. I have all of the right equipment, I know, because my system was set up by someone who specializes in this stuff. But I agree, I do need an external HD and do plan on getting one. I just don't think that's the issue since i've done nothing but practice tracks on here so far.

I will be needing your help with this "labeling" thing you're talking about so that i can do it right. As a matter of a fact, if you can walk me thru downloading my plugins to labeling them, it would be amazing. I don't want to make any mistakes this time around. Once again, thank you so much in advance.