Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Stereo in only on left channel

I just hoked up the D-Command today and played arroud for about 2 hours, testing all the routing. I have stereo 1 for CD Stereo 2 for DigiBeta and stero 3 for Tuner. as I tested the signal I had signal on all inputs left and right. I might have done some weird setup, but suddenly I have only the left channel on all 3 Stereo in with signal, The right is dead. I have powercycled the system, reset the D-Command to default reloaded the firmware in the Xmon and replaced the snake. nothing works. BTW the main (protools) is fine in stereo L/R. Can anybody help?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Stereo in only on left channel

The D-Command meters monitor Stereo Inputs in the following order : L-Lc-C-Rc-R-Ls-Rs-LFE so the meters on the D-Command show L on 1 and R on 5. Does this shed any light?

@timothyday_musicandsound
Timothy Day
Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM

To further clarify, coming out of the Xmon, left is on 1 and right is on 5.

If you connect your interface to the Xmon via 8 channel D-sub cables, you can change your IO setup so that your main monitoring outs from PT come out 1-5 instead of 1-2. You would then need to feed your monitoring from 1-5 out from the Xmon.

If you only ever want to use the Xmon in stereo, then you could get some Dsub to XLR breakouts and connect 1-2 out from the interface to 1-5 in on the Xmon and then monitor on 1-5 out from the Xmon.

Both of these scenarios allow for stereo in monitoring via 1-5 out from the Xmon.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM

I'm confused. I understand the 1-5 routing for the main ins and outs of the xmon, but the Stereo Input channels are are 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 according to all documentation I've seen...

Patching sources into these inputs gives me level on the meters for 1 and 5, but no audio on the right side...

What am I missing?

Thanks!

-Zak
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM

speaker channel solo or mute?

(the buttons under the text display)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Thanks Craig,

Just figured it out...turns out I have been looking at VERY old documentation and the pinouts have apparently changed since then. Repatched and...voila!

Happy camper now.

-Z-
Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Hi badbiker, did you ever figure out what caused this? I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem. I've checked all my cabling, reset all firmwares and even changed out with a different xmon and dcommand...I'm at a total loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 AM

Red face Re: Stereo in only on left channel

Oh, I've had the same issue, starting a couple of weeks ago. Proper cabling, correct routing. Out of a sudden, there was no signal on the right channel - sometimes just on the main, sometimes on one of the stereo sources. Since a few days, XMON started to mute all the channels and fails. And since yesterday, the unit is completely dead. Even the firmware update procedure will be quitted by an error 1 or 2 message. This is my 2nd XMON in 5 years. Not to speak about the 3rd D-Command in the same time. Oh - and on the 3rd D-Command, I had to change all the faders recently. And some of the pan knobs still don't work. Did I forget to talk about a nice «scratch» besides the EQ section? It was there from the beginning. Documation pictures and many mails didn't help DIGI/AVID to move their asses and get that fixed or exchanged until now. What a shame. Otherwise, the console works fine...