Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on Pro Tools HD Native + Omni + Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Hi.

It doesn't matter what you start first. You only need to power on omni berfor you start pro tools.
I've had My Omni HDN steup now for a year and 8 months and am very pleased also coming from an 002 and have the same overall impression better overall converters etc.

To the above I'll only add that even if you open PT first, the nice thing is a window pops with a message about no device or something and all you have to do is power up the OMNI and your in business.

The only procedure order problems I have had are when I haven't quit PT before going to iTunes or Reason (in stand alone) where the Core Audio comes on then if you try to open up PT with out quitting the core audio. You wont have the HDN omni selection in sound preferences . In which case you have to quit PT then hold the (n) key while booting PT to get back to the Omni

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-26-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I've had My Omni HDN steup now for a year and 8 months and am very pleased also coming from an 002 and have the same overall impression better overall converters etc.

To the above I'll only add that even if you open PT first, the nice thing is a window pops with a message about no device or something and all you have to do is power up the OMNI and your in business.

The only procedure order problems I have had are when I haven't quit PT before going to iTunes or Reason (in stand alone) where the Core Audio comes on then if you try to open up PT with out quitting the core audio. You wont have the HDN omni selection in sound preferences . In which case you have to quit PT then hold the (n) key while booting PT to get back to the Omni
omni is great so glad I got it
Old 11-04-2013, 06:20 PM

So far, without any ridiculous deadlines or workflow (The times I choose to upgrade) - I have not had any major issues... I'm Loving HDN.... (PCIe on Mac Pro 5,1 QC 3.2 32GB RAM 5770 ML)

I do not have an Omni, rather an HD I/O 16 AD.

I wasn't willing to sacrifice the I/O for the Monitor Selection and Pre's, since I have Pre's I prefer, and I will be grabbing a Dangerous DBox or Source or something similar.....

I was temped to grab an Omni for those reasons (Selection, CUE, Pre's), But I need the I/O for my workflow......

Would have had to grab, at minimum, another 192 '(Obsolete')... and couldn't see doing that.... or, grabbing another HD I/O..... again.... right now... couldn't justify that....

As it sits.... Very happy with the rig on 11HD

Offline Bounce? AAX format? (Wish we had VST) - But Still..... Finally....

Vast increase in productivity... Less taxing on my Mac Pro, workflow is so much better... workspace is better (I use a lot), and new shortcuts are a plus.

Loving it.....

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM

I was loving my Omni until the mic pre died this morning
And the timing was perfect!
Hollywood actor in the booth, ADR over ISDN to LA Studio via EDNet.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
I was loving my Omni until the mic pre died this morning
And the timing was perfect!
Hollywood actor in the booth, ADR over ISDN to LA Studio via EDNet.
Reading this makes me cringe..... I had an identical issue happen except a channel went out on the Zephyr in the middle of the session for a national TV commercial spot. The actor was totally cool with it, the other studio.. not so much..

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Reading this makes me cringe..... I had an identical issue happen except a channel went out on the Zephyr in the middle of the session for a national TV commercial spot. The actor was totally cool with it, the other studio.. not so much..
You certainly know you're alive when stuff like that happens!
(BTW, A power cycle fixed my Omni, which seems quite odd.)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 AM

So it wasn't the preamp, but some kind of glitch in the digital control aspect of it. Still not fun.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Glad to hear how it's working for you. I'm finding the same benefits from my Omni as well.
Same here.

After having had many different low end converters and finally ending up with Omni I think converters are just as an important factor as the room and microphone. One can't shine without the other.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
So it wasn't the preamp, but some kind of glitch in the digital control aspect of it. Still not fun.
Exactly. I heard a couple of crackles shortly before, but thought it was from the talkback mic I was playing with at the time.

But I must agree with the others in this thread, the Omni is a great sounding box!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
Exactly. I heard a couple of crackles shortly before, but thought it was from the talkback mic I was playing with at the time.

But I must agree with the others in this thread, the Omni is a great sounding box!
agreed... sorry to hear about that problem too... i have yet to use the internal pre's myself... They are there if I need them, but mostly I record only vocals using 1 mic and an external preamp... Occasionally someone brings in live instruments so I will need a few good preamps and I'm glad to have them for that...

I like the omni because I can do everything ITB and get great quality from the a/d and d/a... that is the main reason I bought it, conversion... It seemed like the simplest way to get high quality conversion and stay with the current PT software, to upgrade to HD Native... I have never really used any outboard to mix (probobly because I'm from the digital generation) and I have never mixed a song on an Analog console except one time... funny storry about that - I paid a studio 200 bucks to mix a song for me on a big SSL console 4000g and we put the mix on my flash drive and went out to the car... turned it up and bumped it it sounded so good to me and even the studio owner complemented the engineer on his mix... turns out we were playing MY MIX... when I went home the song ended and it played the next track, (which was actually his mix) and it sounded dull and lifeless... my ITB mix had came out much better for some reason... and this was at a very early stage in my learning of mixing, i was still in school.. ITB beat OTB no question LOL lesson learned... haven't really cared about analog since then, although now that I have been doing this close to 10 years I would like to work with analog just to experiment but it's nothing I would throw money at unless it could gaurentee an improvement... this is my workflow anyway everyones different