Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Default live loops from within protools?

I had an unusual request from a choreographer:

I need to slip-in a short repititious loop of as yet undetermined lenght and on visual cue,let the rest of the music follow naturally as if performed live by symphony musicians all that live.Now usually this would not be a problem to "collage" the whole thing but how to edit the clips on the go with 100% accuracy night after night.

I've tried ableton live but that was off half of the time,tried megaseg got lucky once or twice but not for live,melodyne ,recycle,reason but so far nothing works well enough.The best results for this live thing have actually been from Protools,manipulating the clips in real time (moving actual audio clips while the loop is playing and actually snugging in the cut on to the loop on cue (well a bar or two behind but cleanly).So any one out there with an idea?

Tanks

RayS
Old 02-25-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: live loops from within protools?

anyone?

RayS
Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 AM

If you're able to get your hands on a PC, try using Stage Researches SFX. It's designed for playback use in productions, dance, theme parks, etc. It'd take a bit of advanced programming to get it to do what you're looking for, but it can be done.

Personally, I can't see why you're having problems with Live. From what it sounds like you're trying to do, you should be able to get it done in Live. What do you mean by "it was off half of the time?"
San Diego, CA
Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I had an unusual request from a choreographer:

I need to slip-in a short repititious loop of as yet undetermined lenght and on visual cue,let the rest of the music follow naturally as if performed live by symphony musicians all that live.Now usually this would not be a problem to "collage" the whole thing but how to edit the clips on the go with 100% accuracy night after night.

I guess it would be too much to ask for the choreographer/director to get the talent to rehearse the moves well enough so as to be repeatable, eh?

Don't bother to pen a serious reply; I am a veteran of many community theatre productions. I feel your pain... ;^)

I once had a director call for 42 distinctly different claps of thunder in a production of Hamlet. I tried to get away with about 12 scrambled randomly with no successive repetitions, and he caught me.

The same guy, in the same production, wanted 15 minutes of preshow to terminate in a specific cue with no break and no crossfading. That one was easy to give him, but it meant that once preshow started, there was no holding the curtain, and the actors really had to pay attention, since their entrances were nowhere near the stage manager and their "go" call was 15 minutes beforehand.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 02-25-2005, 09:43 AM

"off half the time"well if I luckily hit the go button for the next scene at the right anticipated spot, then it would almost fit ,but could still always hear something ,like a bad edit. Have tried both the OS X ver. and The os 9 of Live on both my B/W G3 and dual usb iBook but the triggering delay(+latency )is quite apparent and that is why I was asking for perhaps a different way of editing my clips to achieve this.As for SFX I am using a similar Mac product called Samsc but I still have to start the next scene right on cue ,I want the loop to complete its cycle then proceed to the next cue.I used to have a few digicarts from 360 systems and these would allow me to start a new cue on completion of the previous ,so that at any time during the playing of a particular cue I could press the loop button to disengage it and then trigger the next cue and all would proceed in a very linear way and seamlessly or so I remember.

Thanks anyways