Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 03:23 PM

Default how BAD does the Procontrol monitor section sound

The net is full of complaints about the PC monitor section .
How bad does it actually sound, even with the upgraded pots etc.?
Are there other people who are happy with it ?

I'm asking because I'm planning to buy a secondhand PC.
Any tips on modyfing welcome.
Let me hear you !

thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: how BAD does the Procontrol monitor section so

I use it everyday-

I think it sounds OK. It may color the sound slightly but not that much.
Be sure you have the newer monitor section though.

Also- I do not use the volume pot much at all- I have it set at about 3' oclock and have the system calibrated to 85db (I do use the dim button constantly though.)

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:47 PM

I just installed the upgraded monitor section with the new pot, and it definitely sounds DIFFERENT! I haven't decided if it is better or worse, but it is certainly punchier and warmer, so I guess I like it, as long as my mixes don't sound wimpy and too bright!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:38 PM

Adamsound,

your comments are EXACTLY what I'm hearing with the EPOT.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: how BAD does the Procontrol monitor section sound

I had always really discounted how much the monitor section made a difference. Then I hooked up a HUI to the same system and used it's monitor section to drive my Genelec 1031's. I ntoiced right away they sounded better.

So does trhe EPOT come on the montior upgrade? Does anyone have one to verify that?

I hate to have to pay this much for a KNOWN problem, but I guess there is not much that can be done. For less you could get the MACKIE BIG KNOB and just bypass the whole monitor section.
www.classicrecording.com
Old 07-13-2004, 03:18 PM

We've been round and round with this. We drive 1029A's with our ProControls. All monitor sections are upgraded.
#1:
The volume pot WILL NOT fade the Left side, and the right side of the audio down at equal levels. When you get into a quiet monitoring situation, left dives off to infinity, and the right is still very audible. Irritating to say the least. Not solveable.
#2:
The volume pot (new and old) attachment to the knob is not very durable. ours loosen up, and come off. No big deal until you realize you need to take the entire cover off the ProControl to tighten the allen set screw holding the volume knob to the pot. PITA, but solveable.
#3:
Meters are not adjustable. We would like to calibrate the ProControl meters to our house standard, but there is no way to do this. A gripe, but understandable when you consider the ProControl does nothing but reflect the PPM/LED meters as seen in software. Adjusting the meters for metering record input would be very nice.

We've budgeted for 5 new Presonus Control Centers to replace the entire ProControl monitor section. We'll see if those things can stand the test of time.
The ProControl monitor section is just too much hassle, not flexible enough and sounds funky.
Other than that, the ProControls have been fairly good over the last 4 years.

Kelly
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM
Old 07-15-2004, 04:35 AM

The monitor section on the PC does not sound bad, in fact it sounds good. The monitor pot image shift has been resolved with the introduction of the new EPot, which will be available for free if you call tech support and indicate that this has been a long standing cronic problem. The installation is simple, and the EPot is terrific.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
We've budgeted for 5 new Presonus Control Centers to replace the entire ProControl monitor section.
I would try before you buy.
I was using a Central Station (latest version w/ all the fixes).
I got a PC with the Epot. I had no intention of using the monitor section until I compared them.

You lose a few features, but I believe the tracking and imaging on the PC monitor section were better.

Good luck!

David
Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 PM

How do you know if you have the Epot?
SN? Rev#?
My PC was refurbished so I assume it has it.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:57 AM

I have the PC with the upgraded monitor section and the EPOT. The other day I came to the studio and the right channel of the main out was making noise. The alt and aux outs were fine. Since I have everything wired to a patchbay, I repatched my main speakers to the aux out, and I was blown away how different they sounded.

It sounded like someone was holding a towel over the speakers - dark, muddy, with no sheen. So I would have to say that the EPOT sounds significantly different (better, IMO).

Fortunately, a few hours the problem went away, so I'm back to my original setup, but I've decided to purchase the Dangerous monitor ST. I use my NS-10's and my Genelecs about the same amount, so I want all my speakers (not just those connected to the main out) to sound great.

Also the headphone out has a very poor relationship between L/R. The image always tilts to the left. I plug my phones direct into my Lavry DA-10, and it's dead center.

- Kent