Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Default Serious question, are there any MIDI controllers that actually work with PT 11?

I have PT 11, a macbook pro running os 10.9.4. i'm interfacing with an apollo twin duo via thunderbolt.

i've gone through two maudio keyboards (mini air 32, and oxygen 25 new), neither of which were compatible with protools 11 (errors, or not recognizing entirely).

also tried using my motif and nord as a midi device (although not ideal) and that didn't work either, pro tools didn't even recognize them.

anyone have a good suggestion for something that DEFINITELY works and is in the similar price range as the mini air 32 or oxygen 25? I honestly don't even care about the controls, I literally just want a basic MIDI keyboard, and I need to know it works.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Serious question, are there any MIDI controllers that actually work with PT 11?

I hope you're using quality powered USB Hubs with your MIDI controllers/keyboards. I have tones of them running great with PT 11, e.g. iRig Keys, Arturia Player 25, Keystation Mini 32 + lot of other different controllers incl. e-drums & Maschine Mikro.

Have you checked MIDI setup in in OSX's Audio MIDI setup?

But, as I already said, having a good quallity USB hub is as must so any MIDI stuff will work as expected.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Serious question, are there any MIDI controllers that actually work with PT 11?

Yep I have two powered USB hubs. I spoke to mAudio and googled around and it's well known that they don't work with PT 11. And now the AKAI MINI Mk2 is also failing to work, and Akai doesn't know a thing about it. I'll try the ones you mentioned.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM

We use 2 Akai Synthstation 49 with ipads and they have worked 100% from the first time of plugging in. They are quite cheap now and you don't need an ipad for them to function even thought it is cool and we use the sounds from ipad MPC. I saw that they are found for less than 125 dollars, no drivers need, just plug in and start playing.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Axiom 49, and previously a Radium 61 working fine with PT11 here.

If you've tried several keyboards, I don't think a specific model/manufacturer of keyboard is going to be the solution to your problem. I recommend that you grab a copy of the free Snoize MIDI monitor program to help troubleshoot your problem:

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf2108 View Post
I have PT 11, a macbook pro running os 10.9.4. i'm interfacing with an apollo twin duo via thunderbolt.

i've gone through two maudio keyboards (mini air 32, and oxygen 25 new), neither of which were compatible with protools 11 (errors, or not recognizing entirely).
I'm on a pc so not the same setup, but I'm using a Korg Lp350black, M-Audio Axiom pro 61 and an Dm8 pro, all working. When using a USB controller make sure to create a midi instrument in Pro tools midi studio setup, and assign that instrument to the midi input of your instrument track (do not leave it at all) else you will get double notes. Funnily enough my korg is plugged in using 5-pin midi cables and even if I leave it at all, there's no double notes going on.

Wave-T.com
Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM

I have a Radium61 and a MIDI Sport 4x4 which are both MAudio and these are working for me. The caveat is they only seem to work with the beta driver that was released to testers when Avid still owned MAudio but is not available to the public. When I've used to official driver I have all kinds of headaches and always end up installing the beta. I have not had success with the "current" driver in OS 10.7 or 10.8. MAudio do have newer devices that do not use this driver so you might try those.

I used a Novation controller on a job that was plug and play that seemed to work best without the Novation software, but that was PT 10.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yep I have two powered USB hubs. I spoke to mAudio and googled around and it's well known that they don't work with PT 11. And now the AKAI MINI Mk2 is also failing to work, and Akai doesn't know a thing about it. I'll try the ones you mentioned.
I really have to stress again how important is to have good quality USB hub - not cheepos like Trust (unTrust ), Belkin or similar, that will always provide enough power. I've learned it hard way through all these years.

Have you checked your MIDI system setup? Is some of your devices dimmed? Look at my example:

I've really never heard for the problems with MAudio's keys except for old Axioms models because of Hypercontrol bad implementation. But, even without Hypercontrol, generic support would have to work.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:

also tried using my motif and nord as a midi device (although not ideal) and that didn't work either, pro tools didn't even recognize them.

anyone have a good suggestion for something that DEFINITELY works and is in the similar price range as the mini air 32 or oxygen 25? I honestly don't even care about the controls, I literally just want a basic MIDI keyboard, and I need to know it works.

Thanks in advance
I got an oxygen 61 3rd gen (blue) used... running pt11.2.1 osx 10.9.4 as we speak and direct link (pre hypercontrol, its old!) seems to work as well! Faders and pans work all day and keys are just right! I admit i had crashes with it on pt10 when trying to control plugin parameters, but then i got a novation nocturn for 50 bucks and all that changed with automap... im actually using both now, with automap and direct link, on pt11 fully functional! with plugin control via automap from blue cat audios patchwork using vst plugs... shocked how smooth it is!!!