Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM

Default Import Audio greyed-out search results.

I've recently upgraded to Pro Tools 12.5. I'm running a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2012) 2 x 2.66 with El Capitan 10.11.4 and an Mbox Pro (3rd gen).

I keep all my sound libraries in a folder on one particular internal drive. I have never before experienced any issues with the Import Audio window, but something baffling (and workflow-killing) has started happening lately. If I search for audio using the Spotlight-style search function in the Import Audio window, it will present relevant results, but they will nearly always be greyed out, to the extent that I can't even click on individual audio files to see their drive paths. If I search for the same files in Finder, identify their paths, and then directly locate those same files in the Import Audio window rather than search for them, I can find and import whatever I choose without issue.

I say that they are nearly always greyed out, as some files from within that same folder will be accessible as usual via search, and I'm not at all certain what distinguishes "okay" files from greyed ones. At least 95% of audio files will be greyed out, however. Furthermore, if I search for keywords that return search results for identical files that are both in the "official" sound library folder and in my current session, all files that are not on the library drive are accessible, yet the library files remain greyed out.

Drive permissions are all set to Record, and as I say, I've been using this exact same setup for years without issues. This just started happening.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Import Audio greyed-out search results.

registered just to bump this...i'm having the exact same problem and it is driving me nuts....does anyone have a solution?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:12 AM

Aside from general PT and system maintenance (e.g. trash PT preferences and repair disk permissions with Disk Utility), I don't know how to fix this. I'll ask my fellow mods.

How many audio tracks are in the session now?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:16 PM

i've done all that and still having the problem regardless of how many tracks are in the session :/ is anyone else having this problem?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:31 AM

I'm also having the same issue with El Capitan and PT12.5. For me when I do a Sound Effect or whatever search during import on my external drive...results with file name (.wav .mp3) in the file name are importable/not greyed out. Results without (.wav .mp3) are greyed out. For me this has been happening since PT11 on El capitan.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Same issue here: MacBook Pro; 10.11.4; ProTools 12.4. No configuration (track count, etc.) of the sessions seems to make any difference. I am able to drag the files in manually so it seems to limited to the import window for me. I've also tried all the usual system purges to no avail.

Total workflow killer.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:32 PM

Yep. Pro Tools 12.5 on 10.11.1

3.2Ghz i5 27" iMac

Same problem. Trying to access on my samples on externatl USB 3 drive.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:46 AM

Pretty straightforward. Import audio files are all available unless they're in a search result and then they're not. The first post here was almost five months ago. Does anyone at Avid read these these things? Not like it's a small problem. It absolutely disrupts production workflow.

Hey Avid. Anybody there?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:12 AM

Yeah same thing happens here. Totally confused the bejesus out of me the first time it happened.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 AM

What filesystem is the external drive?

My other wild guess is this (stupidly) relies on OS X Spotlight. So I would try deleting and rebuilding the Spotlight indices on the relevant drive.

To get Avid's attention you are supposed to contact Avid support... But post back here how that goes for you.