Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 AM

Default Synchronize tracks in Pro tools(Using reel to reel)

Hi,
I have a digi 003 (Factory, I think, you know, with the plug ins and ilok usb) and a PC(Pro tools 8 point something), I record mostly analogic electro-acoustic instruments, like electric guitar(also digital delay looping), electric bass, up right bass, voice, percussion with mike, etc. I've been working with this setting for some time now and I conclude I don't like digital sound(I have a couple of bands with published records and we're now trying analogue studios).
I found somewhere a very cheap Sony TC-366 2 track taperecorder, I've been repairing it and although it's not completely all right I can already record, I love the sound.
I know for a fact that you can actually use it(in combination with 003 and Pro tools) as a multitrack, but I don't know how to do this.
My intention is to record 2 tracks(on tape), bounce to Pro tools and then record 2 more tracks on the same tape and bounce to Pro tools again and so forth. But to make it work I need to synchronize the tracks once in Pro tools. The two first tracks woun't be synchronized because of the distance between the playback and recording head, also those two tracks wouldn't be sync with the rest of the tracks for obvious reasons.
I don't think you can sync it effectively by hand and I cannot afford very expensive gear since I intend to use it as a lab at home, don't think anything is ever gonna see the light.
Do I need hardware or is Pro tools (8 point something) enough?
If not...is this hardware enough? http://www.thomann.de/gb/art_syncgen.htm

I cannot even imagine how this works, does pro tools, in combination with hardware, gives you a time line in which both tracks need to fit or something like that? Excuse my ignorance.

Thanks, I'd really appreciatte any help.

Greetings from Amsterdam, Fran
Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Synchronize tracks in Pro tools(Using reel to reel)

Yup … it's easy to drag you tracks to line up with other tracks in Protools… It gets easier if you expand your tracks wider…. it give you more room to line up you tracks….. it is very easy..
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM

You may have a phase issue between the first two tracks you bring into Pro Tools and the second two tracks even if they are lined up with each other in Pro Tools. The reason is that any slight variation in speed in the tape deck as well as wow and flutter will result in phasing and warble type artifacts between the two recorded instances (play back of all four tracks in Pro Tools).
Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 AM

the deck needs something like a Timeline Lynx but it probably is not capable of resolving to external controller and you don't have a track to burn to use for SMPTE

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-14-2015, 03:09 AM

Record a click track in ProTools and feed that to the headphones on each 2trk take, then let some of the click leak to a mic on the count-off. Then in ProTools you can precisely line-up each track with the count-off click audio marks.
With that setup you can also playback recorded tracks to the headphones.
If it is a different instrument each take, with little room noise, then there will no phasing issues.

When Roger Nichols gave up analog tape, I took that as a sign.