Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 02:19 PM

Default PT 12 offline vs online bounce

So I've been experiencing some issues with PT 12, i was using pt10 prior a few weeks ago, Im just a home PT user and for fun,

My first issue is a crazy distorted sound from my main mix at times, as well as soloed tracks, its not always but sometimes out of no where everything goes distorted and i have to restart protools, as soon as i restart everything is fine again.

MY main issue.... is offline vs online bounce, Im confused as to what the difference is, but i know online is a real time bounce, as soon as i try bouncing anything to WAV online, protools stops and says I'm running out of cpu power and to remove native plugins, I am using about 22 waves plugins in the session, (i experienced this problem with PT10 after i updated to yosemite, which was a huge mistake and why i now have PT12)

I did do some research and have read that waves plugins may sound different when bouncing online or offline, id like to bounce everything online and in real time for the best quality. Does tweakhead,best,good have anything to do with it? I'm thinking i have a setting wrong somewhere and thats why i am running out of cpu power during online bounces

Thanks in advance for the help and insight!!! I greatly apologize if there is a thread already answering my questions, i did search but did not find anything

Thank you all so much!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 PM

Default Re: PT 12 offline vs online bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonFAudioDesign View Post
Does tweakhead,best,good have anything to do with it?
That is the quality of sampling rate conversion. It was useful selection last century, but today just set it to TweakHead and forget it.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM

Well +1 using tweakhead . As for online vs offline , in my case i mix in PT10 but master in PT11 because the AAX 64 bit and offline feature . Again in my case i hear the AAX plugins much more better in sound qualilty and the offline option a bit better too... dont ask..... thats what i hear ...jaja ..

I use from wave on every work ren-desseer and sometimes q10 to fix things . Like i say...i hear everthing a bit better offline .

Just test by yourself !

P.S.

im using jbridge and bluecat patchworks to wrap my VsT plugins like TC into PT11 and works incredible well .
Old 04-04-2015, 08:26 AM

I'm on my iPad, so I can't see your system specs in your post. That information would be helpful in coming up with a solution to your problem. The settings you're using should have no effect on your system running out of CPU. Is it only this session that you're experiencing this problem with?

'
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
I'm on my iPad, so I can't see your system specs in your post. That information would be helpful in coming up with a solution to your problem. The settings you're using should have no effect on your system running out of CPU. Is it only this session that you're experiencing this problem with?

'
Thank you for your response, yes it is all my sessions, all my sessions are live concerts multitracked over firewire from a avid venue profile desk.

Im currently running a late 2011 mac mini server, quad core i7 2ghz with 16gb of DDR3 ram

Ive only had this problem since i updated to yosemiti, it happened with PT10 on yosemiti (due to having the wrong OS) and now is happening again with PT12, I just really would like to make sure I'm doing everything to the highest quality my system can handle. Am i wrong in saying the online bounces are of a higher quality? I haven't done a comparison with the same session, within 10 second of a online bounce PT tells me I'm running out of CPU power

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That is the quality of sampling rate conversion. It was useful selection last century, but today just set it to TweakHead and forget it.
Thanks for your response, I will keep it set to tweakhead
Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonFAudioDesign View Post
Thank you for your response, yes it is all my sessions, all my sessions are live concerts multitracked over firewire from a avid venue profile desk.

Im currently running a late 2011 mac mini server, quad core i7 2ghz with 16gb of DDR3 ram

Ive only had this problem since i updated to yosemiti, it happened with PT10 on yosemiti (due to having the wrong OS) and now is happening again with PT12, I just really would like to make sure I'm doing everything to the highest quality my system can handle. Am i wrong in saying the online bounces are of a higher quality? I haven't done a comparison with the same session, within 10 second of a online bounce PT tells me I'm running out of CPU power

Thanks again for your help!

How big is the session? What sample rate are you at? Are your sessions on a separate hard drive? As for online bounce quality, there is no difference it's a personal preference. Personally, I bounce my sessions within the session by creating a separate track. I find this way it's easier to export, etc..

If any of your plugins can be committed to the track, that could free up CPU.

My guess is that your session is on your system drive.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-04-2015, 03:34 PM

Distortion on the output (assuming you are not clipping your mix bus!) is certainly not normal behaviour for protools, the first thing I would look at is audio drivers. What interface are you using? Is it a 3rd party interface? Are the drivers up to date?

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 04-04-2015, 04:14 PM

As far as distortion, try running with the Pro Tools system window open and watch your cpu and memory meters, they might show a problem. The running out of cpu while bouncing sounds like the -9173 error that was supposedly fixed, I think in 11.3.1.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:44 PM

Avid supposedly did null comparisons between on-line and offline bounces and found no differences.

It is more helpful to produce a test that can be run by others rather than say one of them sounds "better".
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.