Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: If YOUR groove VANISHES after Recording an OD... It AINT your ears... ADC ATE IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Hey Ron,

Hope I didn't come off too combative there, not intended that way. I realize there are a few parallel discussions here, all linked ADC. I've just tried to focus on the OP and remove a few variables in order to get to the root of the problem.

We use very little midi/VIs at our shop, but I have been absolutely vigilant about audio timing and ADC. I run both TDM and Native, ADC always on and the only problems I've had have always been bussing related. ADC is absolutely necessary in my world. Tracking without it is NOT an option.

VIs...now all bets are off. In my experience, they've NEVER been usable in PT. Luckily I do very little composing or otherwise where I might need more than one running at a time...

Z
No No not at all my friend. ADC, RTAS, MIDI and VI's are a very heated issue for all of us and unfortunately we have to live with it for the foreseeable future as Avid simple does not have the resources to deal with too many complicated fixes. Bug fixes do not bring in short term profits and Avid is a publicly held company that is beholden to their shareholders first and foremost.

Talk to you again!

Ron
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Default Re: If YOUR groove VANISHES after Recording an OD... It AINT your ears... ADC ATE IT.

Quote:
Hey Ron,

Hope I didn't come off too combative there, not intended that way. I realize there are a few parallel discussions here, all linked ADC. I've just tried to focus on the OP and remove a few variables in order to get to the root of the problem.

We use very little midi/VIs at our shop, but I have been absolutely vigilant about audio timing and ADC. I run both TDM and Native, ADC always on and the only problems I've had have always been bussing related. ADC is absolutely necessary in my world. Tracking without it is NOT an option.

VIs...now all bets are off. In my experience, they've NEVER been usable in PT. Luckily I do very little composing or otherwise where I might need more than one running at a time...

Z
I do a fair amount of VI work, and while perhaps not ideal, PT is certainly capable. VE Pro makes it even better.

However, I still have yet to see ADC "eat" anything. Perhaps it's because I have the PocketProtector.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I do a fair amount of VI work, and while perhaps not ideal, PT is certainly capable. VE Pro makes it even better.
Well, in my world, VIs are unusable in a normal session (one with plugin induced latency). Overdubbing midi or bussed audio (from a VI) is recorded out of time when ADC is on. The only way I can make it work is to do a quick bounce of the project and import that into a new session with zero latency and the VI. Not exactly practical...

It doesn't help that most of my VIs are digi ones (velvet, strike, structure etc) and RTAS which AFAIK does not work with VEpro. I will NEVER again buy an Air (or any other AVID developed) plugin. Not only do they not work on other platforms, but they are also by far the most unstable software installed on my system.

Now I'm the one going off topic...

Z
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It doesn't help that most of my VIs are digi ones (velvet, strike, structure etc) and RTAS which AFAIK does not work with VEpro.
RTAS plugs will never be able to be hosted in VE Pro until AVID allows this. However, you'll get much better performance with both AU and VST (on Windows), so it's not a real worry.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM

It would seem that a lot of the complexity here is because PT is accommodating for the latency of the VI outside of the TDM latency compensation no? EG VI's don't induce a full buffer's worth of latency to the TDM mixer (obviosly they do, but PT is handling this behind the scenes, so it doesn't know when using multi out's to aux/audio tracks).

I think digi could solve this, VI freeze and HD voice limitations in one fell swoop. Give us an RTAS only Instrument+folder track(s). So say multi outs from a VI could go each individual track in the folder tracks (could be expanded to show all or collapsed to show only the whole folders output) Because it would be all RTAS and all grouped it could have Freeze (for the whole folder, or for just parts of it), it could also easily be correctly ADC'd collectively, and it would only need 2 voices to connect with the TDM mixer (or 6 for 5.1).

Also when expanded the folder could automatically have a track for each output of a multi out plugin, with each corresponding input already assigned. If you really wanted/ needed to move the audio into TDM land, freeze it, and drag the audio files over to audio tracks (could be done for individual tracks or the whole folder depending on what you need).

Done, done and done. Oh and we need 64 bit.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
RTAS plugs will never be able to be hosted in VE Pro until AVID allows this. However, you'll get much better performance with both AU and VST (on Windows), so it's not a real worry.

D
I guess if you don't mind throwing your investment in RTAS plugins away that's true. Silly me expecting the stuff I pay for to work...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I guess if you don't mind throwing your investment in RTAS plugins away that's true. Silly me expecting the stuff I pay for to work...
That's why most VI's aren't RTAS only.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
That's why most VI's aren't RTAS only.
It's also why I'm getting my Rhodes and Wurli working...

(insert peeing monkey emoticon here) AIR
Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Most plugs have combined installers these days.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 AM

DTS,

Hi. As this thread has drifted down the list a bit, I assumed you were away from the forum for a while, but see you replied on another thread yesterday. Are we still proceeding as discussed?? I'll have some time later today to start an upload.

Quote:
Here's something I'd like to do - can you send me a session (with audio) that exhibits the problems you're encountering? I want to take a look at it and show it to a few people internally (don't worry - it's completely confidential and won't make it anywhere outside my reach..) in case there's some further info we can provide and/or to make sure some of the work we're doing in that area actually encompasses those particular issues.
Quote:
Yes. I'd really like to do that. I have a nearly finished track I've been working on recently that would be perfect for demonstrating this. I'll load it up over the weekend and purge the junk from it. I'll also provide you with overall system settings etc and anything else I think will be relevant. Where should I send it?? I've recently been experimenting with DropBox. Do you use this at all?? If not, let me know how to proceed.
Cheers

Steve Bush
http://music180.com/pros/5887