How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 AM

Default NI instruments in PT LE 6.4. dont recognize MIDI

hi there!

i have a pretty specific problem with my pt le system: i wanna use my installed NI instruments as rtas plugins inserted in an aux track in pt le and routing the midi input from my pad kontrol/keyboard to the instruments (e.g. battery2 / absynth / pro 53 / etc...) when i start the plug ins stand alone without protools everything works fine, but as soon as i try to include the instruments in a pro tools session as an insert and try to route my midi input into this instance it doesnt work anymore... i tried all the stuff mentioned in the NI/PT manuals but it wont help... i have midi input recognised at the midi input track, but i cant route it to the plug in in the aux track. also learb function is not workin.. any idea?

thanxz in advance
jürgen
Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: NI instruments in PT LE 6.4. dont recognize MI

Quote:
but as soon as i try to include the instruments in a pro tools session as an insert and try to route my midi input into this instance it doesnt work anymore... i tried all the stuff mentioned in the NI/PT manuals but it wont help... i have midi input recognised at the midi input track, but i cant route it to the plug in in the aux track.
You don't route the MID track's input to the instrument, you route the output of the MIDI track to the instrument.

The input of the MIDI track should be the pad kontrol.
The output of the MIDI track should be whatever soft-instrument you have inserted on the aux track.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM

thanxz mate, got it... dont know exactly why it didnt work before as i think i did exactly what u told me before i asked here, but know it works! great!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM

SPK - I noticed all the advice you have posted on these boards and would like to thank you as they are most useful. Even if its not a problem I specifically have, I find the information you render is very useful in becoming more acquainted with the environ.

I recently purchased Guitar Rig 1 and have installed it without problems. I can utilize it fine as an RTAS. However, as a Stand Alone I have no sound and the indicaters on the Rig show no input signal from my guitar.

I believe I am connecting it improperly to my Digi 002 Rack/ProTools LE (Pentium(R)4CPU 3GHz/3 GB Ram). Advice on this problem and comments about the Rig 1 will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

tc
Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
SPK - I noticed all the advice you have posted on these boards and would like to thank you as they are most useful. Even if its not a problem I specifically have, I find the information you render is very useful in becoming more acquainted with the environ.
Thanks, I try.
Quote:
However, as a Stand Alone I have no sound and the indicaters on the Rig show no input signal from my guitar.
Sounds like you just need to set the audio output of GR1 to the ASIO Digidesign driver. (File->Audio+MIDI Settings, Soundcard tab, Output Device dropdown), and then verify the input an output routing on the "routing" tab.

You should probably have created your own post in a different forum, though. (LE for windows, LE for mac, PTMP windows, PTMP mac, etc). I think that Guitar Rig, while certainly a virtual amplifier, doesn't really count as a Virtual Instrument.

Welcome to the DUC.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Thank you. It was the routing. However, I can not record my guitar directly into ProTools. I have to record it in Guitar Rig, save it, and then import to PT.

I love the variety of sounds I can make from GR. Is this how it works?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
However, I can not record my guitar directly into ProTools. I have to record it in Guitar Rig, save it, and then import to PT. Is this how it works?
No. I'm not sure I understand; you can't record guitar period in Pro Tools? Or you can't record the output of guitar rig?

If it is the latter; plug-ins in Pro Tools are "post-tape", meaning they only effect what is coming out of the track they are on. To record a plugin on input, such as guitar rig, you would
  1. set up an aux track and an audio track, set the input of the aux to your guitar, insert GR on the aux, set the output of the aux track to an available bus, and then set the input of the audio track to be the same bus.
  2. Do the same as above with two audio tracks instead

I prefer method B as you can go back and change the tones later if you want/need to.

If it is the former, I would need more info to help. (how you're plugging it in, what hardware, etc etc)

(and still beleive you should start your own thread in the appropriate area; what you're doing is called "thread stealing" and is generally considered impolite).