Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Returning my New Mackie DXB -What PT will i need?

Thanks

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Returning my New Mackie DXB -What PT will i ne

The product descriptions are available at the 'Product Information' link above. A few starters:

Mac/WinXp mostly a dead issue, they both work very well, though you will still find fervent 'fans' of one or the other.

2 basic systems:
TDM - Current version is HD, requires at least one card installed in the computer (1 card=HD1, 2 cards=HD2, etc.) PLUS at least one interface (192io or any one of the others). It won't work without this. Lots of simultaneous tracks and i/o, depending on your hardware choices. Starts about $10k? I don't use an interface, can't advise on what to use, but others here do (this is, by the way, the TDM forum, and if you go with LE or have LE questions, use the JUMP button below to go to the correct forum).

LE - 1394 attached (firewire). Limits: 32 tracks play at a time (128? available, but only 32 will play at once). Maximum of 18 simultaneous i/o (max 18 tracks recorded simultaneously). The most expensive is $2,500?, the 002, which includes an 8 channel mixer and interface. You may still need to add some i/o devices, as 8 channels are an ADAT link and 2 channels are spdif. There's also a 2 channel version, the M-Box.

The software for the two function almost identically. You can transfer sessions between them. Some plugins are written for both TDM and LE (called generally RTAS plugins), some are available only for one or the other. A TDM system will run both, an LE system will only run RTAS.

Regardless of which you choose, pay careful attention to the computer requirements listed in the 'Compatibility' link above. Two great contributors here (Rail and Nikki) have cannonized a build it yourself system that is well documented, flexible, reliable and inexpensive, based on an ASUS board (search on asus, rail, and/or nikki).

You can call Digidesign pre-sales with questions (number found at some link above), and you should, especially if you are thinking of a tdm system, to just make sure you get it right.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Returning my New Mackie DXB -What PT will i need?

Hi!
Welcome to PT TDM land!

I did a write up on a system I spent alot of time researching and assembling, testing parts and such. Rail uses a similar system, running an HD3 Accel + 192 + Control24 (I believe...could be wrong on a specific).
system details
Yes, the site is in sore need of updating and additions...but it is one place to look at least

Also, I would suggest reading the "WHat Motherboard" thread, and possibly "Poor Man's HD" thread.

If you have specific concerns or questions, feel free to email me. If you want, I could even talk via phone. Hope that helps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM

I just built an HD/4 Accel. I use an Antec 4u rack case that has enough length for the cards. I'm also using Intel. The motherboard is an Intel 875PBZ with a 3.2 Ghz Prescott. I too am using Zalmann fans. Even though Digi doesn't recommend it, I'm using (2) 74GB Raptors in a RAID 0 Array without any problems at all. I'm using a Gigabyte 6600GT card with dual 19" ViewSonic monitors. It has a heatpipe for no noise. It also has 2GB Corsair RAM and a Plextor 740 DVD/CD burner.
I'm using the Ethernet connection for the Control 24. I also have a static IP with a DigiDelivery system on the same system with no problems. I have (2) 192's, Sync I/O and Midi I/O connected to it. This is a very stable system. I have also built another HD rig with the only difference being an Intel 865PERL board. Both systems are working flawlessly... including RAID!

Regards,
Bruce
------------------------------
Puget Sound Studios & Mastering
Recording Academy-Member
Issaquah, WA
425-681-0288

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....
Issaquah, WA 98027
Old 01-03-2006, 08:15 AM

Bruce. Can i come by and see the rig in operation?

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 AM

Jeff

I did the ProTools shuffle about 18 months ago, when I needed to move on from a Mackie D8B, and didn't like the way the DXB was shaping up - so I know where you're coming from.

Basically, the beauty of PT is you can configure the system pretty much how you want. If you want lots of analog inputs/outputs - buy a couple of 192io or 96i interfaces. If you only use digital, you just need 192 Digital interfaces. If you want a control surface, you have options - if you prefer working with just mouse - also cool. Remember, if you like using external analog outboard, not a problem with ProTools HD, you just need the right analog IO's and you can interface with it as if it were plugins or inserts - very cool. I use a bunch of analog compressors and EQ's here and it works like a charm.

Basically, make a list of what IO you need - how many channels, what format etc., and build the system from there. Then decide how much DSP power you want, and work out how many HD/Accel cards you need (each card will support up to 2 interfaces). Look at the control surfaces and make a choice based on your preferred way of working.

If you prefer, you could always start off by just using ProTools as a front end for your HDR's, although ultimately I think doing all your recording in PT will work better.

Platform is not an issue IMHO - I have PT on Windows XP and use Logic on Mac, both good.

FWIW, I went for:

Interfaces: 3x192 Digital, 1x192IO, 1x96i
DSP: HD Accel HD3
System: Asus P4C800E-Delux, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 4GB Ram, Win Xp Pro

I've since added another 192 Digital and another HD card.

Incidentally - you don't need an expansion chasis for up to an HD4 system. Plenty of PC systems will accomodate up to 4 DSP cards internally, and in my case I also have a SCSI controller card in the box, so theoretically it could house a 5th.

Perhaps refine your thoughts and come back with any specific queries - lots of very helpful people here! ;-)

Good luck

Jules