Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2001, 08:55 PM

Default Identify Beat - Set Tempo - Copy?

Evening all,
So I'm attempting to learn how to tap in a few beats on a drum and build up some simple rhythms. I record some simple beats on different tracks and then loop them to make sure they sound OK. So far so good.

I then grab one measure that taps 4 beats, do an Identify Beat command, and PTLE tells me that it sees the measure fine, and sets the tempo to 129.55 BPM. This seems OK to me.

From here I seem have two problems. First, it seems pretty difficult to get each track trimmed to exactly the same length. I'm having to zoom in very tight, and even then I'm not really sure it's exact, so that there wouldn't be any drift after a few minutes.

Q1) How do I trim track 2 to be exactly the length of track 1?

Second, when I grab track 1 and duplicate it using CTRL-D, it seems that the copy doesn't have the same tempo as the original.

Q2) How do I get it to make all the copies play at the same tempo?

Q2a) Is there a way to grab 5 tracks and copy them all at the same time?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 05-03-2001, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Identify Beat - Set Tempo - Copy?

Hi Mark,
Maybe I can help you out.
For your first problem, it is best to work in Grid mode for what you are trying to achieve. Set you grid to Bars and Beats. You can ajust your snap resolution from 1 Bar to 64 Notes. Determine the Tempo and enable a click track and record in this mode. If your timing is close, you will not have to work backwards. Now, the identify beat is handy, but I think its not totally necessary for this.
Not sure I fully understand question 2 but as far as question2a, All you need to do is highlight all 5 tracks and either Contrl-D or CTRL C and then CTRL V At the place you need them to be pasted.

2+2=5
Old 05-03-2001, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Identify Beat - Set Tempo - Copy?

Electrobank,
Thanks. You're instuctions were very close for me. It is working now.

I think the most important thing I missed was getting the grid set to bars and beats. This helped a lot, but didn't get me all the way there.

I then had to zoom in VERY tight on both ends of the sample and found that the start and end points were ever so slightly trimmed off of the start or finish. I set the length of the sample very carefully to start and finish exactly on the bar, and from there it works great. I can do a repeat for 500 bars and it's dead on, according to the program.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Knecht (edited May 04, 2001).]