Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM

Default Digi 002 Power Harness Issue or Firewire Chip Issue?

Hi, I believe I'm suffering from the Digi 002 Power Harness Syndrome or the firewire port/chip has gone bad since a day or two.

It started two days ago while doing a guitar session, suddenly my 002 Rack shuts off at random and I hear repeatedly click's that you normally hear when booting the unit.
After a few attempts to reboot the unit worked fine again for about 5minutes, then it happens again. Now it's like that ever since, just like something gets to hot after a few minutes and shuts of as a safety measure.

When this happens I notice that the mute button and led goes to mute and the yellow led in the sample rate section goes blank/dark/off. Also no 1394 led on the front, on the back it goes of and on and when I look passed the firewire ports on the back I see a led flashing inside the unit. Same deal in standalone mode, unless I disconnect the firewire cable.

My unit is from june 2005 and my serial number ends with a G. So the first time it happened I immediately had to think about the Digi 002 Power Harness issues these units until serial F had a couple years ago.

So I'm wondering what my options are? Is it suffering from a power harness issue or firewire chip issue, the symptoms are similar so I'm not really sure about it. Anyone here came across these problems and what did it cost you to get it fixed?

Any help would be great, thanks

Last edited by Nish; 04-06-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Power Harness Issue or Firewire Chip Issue?

Call your local digi repair place (you can find them on from the home page).

I had to send mine interstate, but the folks on the phone were awesome and answered all my questions. And it was wasnt expensive.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 04-04-2010, 06:32 AM

Hopefully that's good news, I call em on Tuesday.. Easter Monday holiday tomorrow. How long were you without the unit? I can't really afford a long downtime cause I'm in the middle of a project. Thanks though.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 AM

They were very honest on the turnaround time too when I spoke to them. A week i think, i didnt use express couriers at the time. Yeah I know the downtime is a killer.

EDIT:But of course if it is something that needs a part ordered, then you could be waiting longer. See what they have to say. I'd probably keep the unit powered off until you call them - seems power related which is bad for little 5v chips. Your system dying in the middle of an important recording session, maybe worse than saying 'Sorry, system maintenance, need to reschedule'.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Yeah ill keep it powered off for now, though if I try it works fine for about 5 to 10 minutes and that makes me think it's some sort of a safety thing that shuts it down, maybe a chip getting to warm and when it's cooled of again about 3 to 5 minutes later it works again for about 5 min. Weird.

I looked into my local support witch is Benelux as I'm in Belgium, I can only find a toll line and for the email tech support I can't seem to get logged into the new Avid website, though I'm registered in the avid.Account section. Maybe the tech support is another account and I need to sign up again, dunno
Ill probably start with contacting my dealer and see if I can get it fixed over there.

thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Yes, talk to the repair guys.

EDIT: There is no 5 mins safety or anything like that. When stuff turns off, it is failing. Time for a fix. Sorry if I was too 'fluffy' before. If you let elcetronics get 'zapped' with weird power spikes it kills it. Time for a fix.

Yay, music! (I had fantastic session today).

Mike.

Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 AM

Won't cost you anything but a little time to take the back cover off and clean and reseat the power connectors. Might just fix it "G" or not. With the unit unplugged of course.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Ok I get there is no safety, so how can it be that it works for about 5 to 10 minutes and then shuts of? And then again after a couple minutes it works again for about 5 to 10 min. So maybe with the power zaps you talk about it could be that it's a build up or something until it can't take it anymore. (chip heat or so)

Dang I hope my repair guy's is not on a holly-day right now, holly-day season here... and for some reason I have a tendency when things go wrong even the simple things it stay's wrong for a while... bad karma I guess
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Won't cost you anything but a little time to take the back cover off and clean and reseat the power connectors. Might just fix it "G" or not. With the unit unplugged of course.
might be a good idea, I look into it tomorrow. I already went in with compressed air spray to remove any dust but not much dust to find as the unit is build into a rack and smoke free.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM

i reckon your hw is stuffed (maybe not). do you know what you doing if you open it up?

dont risk more $ damage. a $20 easy replacement part might cost you $300 if you [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] with it. be careful. This is what i tell my son.

Mike.

Google the DUC
Search Avid