Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Default Adjust input gain of Guitar in (ASIO)

Hey, I'm just messing around with StudioOne.

I've got the ElevenRack ASIO driver running. I'm recording the Guitar in, & everythings, ok..

I'm trying to increase the gain on the input, I'd like for the signal to be in the -4 db range, but I don't know how to adjust it.

Probably should have read my manual, I know. But I did do a search here & couldn't find what I was looking for. Would any of you happen to know off the top of your heads?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Adjust input gain of Guitar in (ASIO)

I guess I'm the only one not getting a "hot" signal via the ElevenRack?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 PM

That's how the guitar input works in the 11R. The signal gets amplified by the amp models.

There is no input gain knob for the guitar input, it is calibrated to work perfectly with the amp models in the 11R.

If you need more input gain from the dry guitar for other guitar software, many of them include an input gain knob on the GUI. Otherwise you can set the dry guitar to go to an Aux track, then turn up the Vol of that track and send the output of that track to an audio track.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
That's how the guitar input works in the 11R. The signal gets amplified by the amp models.

There is no input gain knob for the guitar input, it is calibrated to work perfectly with the amp models in the 11R.

I see. Seems kind of odd to me. I've got every gain control in the rig set to max (of course that changes the tone) & it's still showing around 30% scale on the input meter.

That can't be right. Maybe something is wrong with my 11r?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderKyss View Post
I see. Seems kind of odd to me. I've got every gain control in the rig set to max (of course that changes the tone) & it's still showing around 30% scale on the input meter.

As long as you are talking about the GUITAR input and not the Rig, then that is about right. What pickups you have can make a difference too.

The gain and volume settings are for the rig, not the dry guitar.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:

Avid for some reason made the USB connected dry output real low in volume. What I read was that was to accommodate later reamping through the 11R. Not cool if you want to just use the 11R as your guitar input and use amp sim software like Eleven or Guitar Rig or Amplitube. Or even just have a dry guitar track.

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Avid for some reason made the USB connected dry output real low in volume. What I read was that was to accommodate later reamping through the 11R. Not cool if you want to just use the 11R as your guitar input and use amp sim software like Eleven or Guitar Rig or Amplitube. Or even just have a dry guitar track.
Honestly, the reason is pretty apparent why Avid did it thus; to accommodate later re-amping. 11R was designed to work most efficiently with PT and re-amping, with PT or 11 LE, after all.

Benoni's suggestion of routing the signal through an Aux and sending it at a higher volume to an audio track is a very good solution.

OR

If you have PT 10 use clip gain on the recorded audio. Or use Audio Suite gain if you need more volume after the track is recorded.

Be aware though that if you re-amp that increased signal with 11r or even 11 LE, then you will likely get too hot a signal.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Honestly, the reason is pretty apparent why Avid did it thus; to accommodate later re-amping. 11R was designed to work most efficiently with PT and re-amping, with PT or 11 LE, after all.

Benoni's suggestion of routing the signal through an Aux and sending it at a higher volume to an audio track is a very good solution.

OR

If you have PT 10 use clip gain on the recorded audio. Or use Audio Suite gain if you need more volume after the track is recorded.

Be aware though that if you re-amp that increased signal with 11r or even 11 LE, then you will likely get too hot a signal.

Then maybe I misunderstood what was meant by reamping. I have the dry guitar signal available, it's even lower than the rig output, I'd say 20% of scale.

I would think reamping would mean taking that dry signal & sending it back through the 11r or a real amp or a another virtual amp.

If I take the rig output through the an aux bus only raises the noise floor. I lose a lot of dynamic range this way. I may as well use it the way it is. I'm just used to setting my gain stages so that I'm at -6 to -4 at the input of my DAW.

I'll just have to get used to using lower levels.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Then maybe I misunderstood what was meant by reamping. I have the dry guitar signal available, it's even lower than the rig output, I'd say 20% of scale.

I would think reamping would mean taking that dry signal & sending it back through the 11r or a real amp or a another virtual amp.

If I take the rig output through the an aux bus only raises the noise floor. I lose a lot of dynamic range this way. I may as well use it the way it is. I'm just used to setting my gain stages so that I'm at -6 to -4 at the input of my DAW.

can you confirm what levels you are talking about? Are we talking GUITAR input or Eleven Rig input for the channel input?

Have you tried this in Pro Tools?

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I may as well use it the way it is. I'm just used to setting my gain stages so that I'm at -6 to -4 at the input of my DAW.

I think this may be a case of using my eyes to mix & not my ears. I tried this in ProTools & the signal registered quite a bit higher on the channel meter, in the 80% range. It even showed the yellow I like to see when I record a signal. I opened up the GUI:

& found the "output" knob in the block with the gate, amp type, & cabinet type effectively raised & lowered the signal without altering tone. This is the control I was looking for. I scrolled through the screens on the rack itself, until I found the knob that changed when I altered the virtual representation of it. It was right where you'd expect it to be.

So I closed ProTools, opened StudioOne. Made sure I was on the ElevenRig input. Still the signal only represented about 30% of scale. I adjusted the knob on the rack, the signal never increased, though I was able to get it to clip. When it clipped I didn't see any yellow, or red.

I opened the mixer view & the signal looked much higher. With the rig output set to 0.0 StudioOne's meter showed about 80% of scale, with a yellow segment every now & then when I would hit the strings hard. I turned the rig output up to about 3.8 & it would clip, go red. But only the very top of the meter (which I always thought of as a separate indicator all-together) went red.

So what I'm thinking (& I really didn't test this much more than what I've described) is that StudioOne's meter in the mixer view is more accurate than in the arrange view. That the meter in mixer view goes from 0-90% in one long segment & the remaining 10% (which represents >0 db) is represented by a smaller box (looks like a checkbox really).

There must be some kind of buffer between the meter in the console & the meter in the arranger, because the meter in the arranger isn't nearly as accurate. & what was represented as 75-80%, in the mixer view, showed no more than 50% in the arrange window.