Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2018, 12:39 AM

Default X-OR record, is it possible?

I make pop music and NEVER record more than one input source at a time. (it's always either a guitar or a vocal, everything else is midi).

However with big sessions I often find myself going to record a vocal only to realize I left some midi VST way higher in the session record-enabled and now it's written over all that data when I recorded the vocal.

So my question is: Is there a way to set PT to X-OR record, in the same way it does with X-OR solo mode, so that selecting record-enable on a track automatically cancels out the track record-enabled before it.

This would be very helpful.

(p.s. I'm in PT11 if it makes a difference).

Last edited by jeffro; 09-02-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Not Mac specific, so moved to the Pro Tools 11 subforum.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 AM

Default Re: X-OR record, is it possible?

In Pro Tools Preferences / Operation Prefrences
Record Section
Latch Record Enable Buttons When selected, multiple audio tracks can be record-enabled. When not selected, multiple audio tracks cannot be re- cord-enabled. Record-enabling an audio track takes all other audio tracks out of record-enabled mode.
I do not know if this can help you. Hello
Old 09-01-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCia View Post
Record Section
Latch Record Enable Buttons When selected, multiple audio tracks can be record-enabled. When not selected, multiple audio tracks cannot be re- cord-enabled. Record-enabling an audio track takes all other audio tracks out of record-enabled mode.
It's a very useful setting a lot of the time, especially since you can record enable multiple tracks with the shift key.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 09:44 AM

This still doesn't disengage enabled instrument tracks though, which is the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCia View Post
Record Section
Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 AM

That's bogus. Brutal.

It's a workaround, but I wonder if clicking option-record pn a track that is enabled would turn disable the instrument record tracks too. (It's my quick shortcut for when I'm borrowing my effects' mixers computer in a mix because she doesn't like x-or solo and I do. It becomes muscle memory easily for me to click/option-click/click.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedavis View Post
This still doesn't disengage enabled instrument tracks though, which is the issue.
Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
See this thread why:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400668#post2498462
Old 09-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Doesn't explain why it couldn't be a selectable option in Preferences. There's also especially no reason to overwrite existing MIDI with blank space if no midi notes are triggered during the entire duration of the record.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Doesn't explain why it couldn't be a selectable option in Preferences. There's also especially no reason to overwrite existing MIDI with blank space if no midi notes are triggered during the entire duration of the record.
Read down to the bottom. What you want and what is offered are two different things. That is the explanation.

They did this intentionally.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Read down to the bottom. What you want and what is offered are two different things. That is the explanation.

They did this intentionally.
Yes I read to the bottom but it doesn't explain why they couldn't have offered it in preferences. There is not requiring it to be an either-or situation. It would be welcomed by the people who need it and not break the workflow for people who don't. Simple solution.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:08 PM

If you enable midi merge, midi tracks won't record over themselves.