Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Software does not run: Unable to locate hardware

I am trying to run Pro Tools Express with Fast Track Solo. I have spent two days trying to make this work on both Mac and PC. Neither works. I gave up on Mac and went to my PC because tech support told me it would work then. On PC, however, I am getting, "Unable to locate hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Click "OK" when the hardware is".

#1: This product does not work on my Mac or PC

#2: The error message does not make sense. What hardware? My iLok is set up and plugged in. My Fast Track Solo is plugged in and transmits audio out to my speakers. (Why does the last sentence of the error message end as it does? "... when the hardware is" - WHAT? When the hardware is what?)

Has anyone else encountered this error message and if so, is there a fix?

What is the return policy on this? Can I return an opened box? I just got it two days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by stog; 10-04-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: removing ALL CAPS
Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Software does not run: Unable to locate hardware

"... when the hardware is" should probably end with "connected".

You may have a defective product, but let's try and troubleshoot first with a few things you may or may not have tried yet...

1 - Have you tried installing the latest driver/firmware for the Fast Track Solo?
Available here:

Fast Track Solo Drivers

Linked from the main drivers page:
www.avid.com/drivers

2 - Have you installed Pro Tools Express 10.3.4, the latest version?

Pro Tools Express 10.3.4 Info & Downloads
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 PM

Thank you for your reply. The latest driver/firmware fixed it.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM

I'm having the same issue… "unable to locate hardware"… this is driving me nuts. I have a mac running OS X 10.7.5. I have a Fast Track Solo with the Pro Tools Express software. I've gone through forums trying to find a fix but have not had any success… The drivers on the links above did not help. My Mac said that there were already drivers installed that were equivalent or newer/better. I really hope this isn't a waste of time and money… Help
Old 12-12-2014, 05:41 PM

Wow… i've been asking questions everywhere and can't seem to get a fix for this… I'm seriously considering just dropping this Fast Track Solo… I've been at it for about a good work week now… seems like a waste of time...