Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 35% off Waves everything

Hi I just helped my friend upgrade his Waves gold V3 to V7 for $200
That made his day :)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERLINKSTUDIOS View Post
not true.my buddy had gold bundle and it was a couple versions behind and he updated and had to pay $400.
How long ago was that? I don't see how that's possible now as WUP fees have been capped at $200. It says so right on the Waves site:

Waves Update Plan Prices
Quote:
Waves Update Plan prices vary between $30 and $200 per product per year. No matter how long your coverage has been inactive, you’ll never pay more than $200 per product. And if you own multiple bundles, your rates go down even more!
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM

When Waves first rolled out WUP---oh man was it ever a firestorm. Depending upon the bundle, it could have been several hundred dollars for a WUP. With multiple bundles, your WUP could have been thousands of dollars. It really came across like a slap across the face, an insult, and quite frankly----theft as some have put it. I was FURIOUS over this with my clients and the heat I took by some of them. Shortly after that took place, I was fortunate enough to be in a closed-door meeting with THE top personnel from Waves to discuss the situation, the issues, what WUP was meant to do, etc. I give them credit, they told me to my face and I quote "We f'd up (well, they didn't censor that word)". They admitted that the way it was presented and rolled out was a huge mess. They went back and made things right for all of my clients which I thought was noble of them--but some only remember that first issue and not that they fixed it.

Is WUP needed? YES!! It's an upgrade that you pay once a year to upgrade your plugins, but it's easy to think of that as expensive---but remember how many plugins come in a bundle. When you look at it, it's a very minor upgrade considering you pay $250 twice a year for PTHD, $150 twice per year for PTLE, $200 or so each year for Logic, the same or more for other apps, etc. In the end it's a cap of $200 per bundle---but you see, they also allow you to apply a credit towards another purchase. If you upgrade, you're covered for another year.

Waves has taken heat for WUP---but I feel that they really had the right idea, just rolled it out in a bad way. The private meeting I had with them years ago showed me their intent and that they really weren't out to rip off or "blackmail" their users. Look at their products today, they are amazing! And should you ever need their support---man, that $200 per year to cover in-depth technical support, product upgrades, free updates for a year including NEW plugins. I can't think of a better deal!

Personally, I have (2) Mercury TDM plus Studio Classics TDM bundles. I'm covered each year for $400 per year that gets me new plugins at NO cost, upgrades, fixes, etc. To me---that is relaxing to know!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawbaby View Post
Hell, they'll make that back the first year, and every year, you pay for the right to upgrade. And if you don't pay then you'll have to re-purchase the plugs when you eventually have to upgrade. If you don't own Waves, I suggest not getting suckered in. There's plenty other good plugs out there with better upgrade options.
There.... I needed to get that off my chest.
This info is completely wrong. You can fall off the WUP wagon for as long as you want, and then buy back in when and if you need to or want too. Please don't spread wrong info like this, you're not doing anybody any favors.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 PM

I own one Waves plugin now and that's the way it was explained to me by their tech support years back. Except you don't have to re-purchase after missing a few upgrades, obviously, but it almost cost that.
Maybe they've changed their policy, but if your paying 20% a year for no changes, just compatibility, that seems high. And that's the way it is for me.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about Waves upgrade policies.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 AM

20% a year?? What bundle do you own?