Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 10:34 AM

Default iLok all of a sudden causing computer freeze!

I have never had a problem with my iLok before until now. After a few days of not using my mac, upon rebooting today to try to remix a session, the mouse nor the keyboard would respond! I force restarted several times with the same result. I then took out the iLok and rebooted and all was fine. I tried to open up the session and it prompted me for authorization for plug-ins...as soon as I put in the iLok everything froze again! I tried rebooting with the iLok in once again still froze. No matter what as soon as the iLok goes in it freezes.
The green light on the iLok doesn't seem to come on anymore either. Could it be that my iLok is dead? If so, would I just be able to get another iLok and transfer the authorizations onto the new iLok from the iLok website? Or what do I do?
I'm using 5.3.1 on OS9.2
Please Help!
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Re: iLok all of a sudden causing computer freeze!

It may be the iLok, but I've had a system go a bit haywire over USB in the past, and it's very hard to troubleshoot. I would narrow everything down to one USB device, everything worked fine for a few hours, then same problem would come up again with something else. Did full OS reinstalls (then, 9.2.2), everything, and the problem kept coming up.

Ordered a PCI USB/firewire card, thinking the USB ports on the motherboard were acting flaky. Installed it, ran a few USB devices on that, everything was back to normal. The odd part is that then all the motherboard USB ports acted normal again. Still don't know what "fixed" the problem.

If you have any USB hubs, remove them. Aside from the Pertech hub, I've not heard of any that don't go silly from time to time.

I don't think you can transfer auths from iLok to iLok as yet - they say they're working on a way to do it. But I'm sure, if the iLok is the problem, the folks there can authorize a replacement, but it might take a week or more, depending upon what companies' plugs are involved.

Let us know what happens!
Old 08-02-2003, 10:21 PM

Funny, I just had this EXACT problem this week. Your dongle went bad if the green light isn't working. Try plugging it in directly to the usb port (not on a hub) to confirm the green light isn't on. Then call Digi, like I did, and they'll replace your ilock for free AND send you a new card to authorize it. If you have third party authorizations, you'll have to talk to them individually. All my other plugins are challenge/response so my ilock only has Digi HD3 bundle plugs. They'll even overnight it for you.

I praise them for their attentive service.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:39 AM

Did you just call the customer service number?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:03 PM

What the heck happened to my post? Well, I already answered your problem at length but here's the summary.

Your iLock is dead if it doesn't have the green light. Plug it directly into your mac just to check. I had the same problem last week. Call Digi, they'll send you another one for free. IF you only have digi authorizations including the bundles that come with the HD packs they'll take care of you. If you have 3rd party authorizations you'll have to contact them.

See another thread going right now about the fact that supposedly you can deauthorize your ilock.

Good luck. Digi was very helpful to me with this.