Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Default End of Stream & Magic ID problems

I have a studio rig: Pro Tools 7.2 (latest cs update, don't recall) HD4 Accel, Digi Expansion HD, on a Mac G5 with 3 gig of RAM. Everything works great on this rig.

I have Pro Tools Mpowered 7.3.1cs2 on a black Macbook 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.8 with an Mpowered FastTrack interface. I'm using the same firewired drives that work fine on my Studio rig.

2 weeks ago I tried to open a session and got the "Could not complete the open session....command because Magic ID does not match" I did a search on the DUC/Answerbase and found that this was a permanent corruption error and required importing all the tracks into a new session. I did this and got to work.

Now, 2 weeks later after working on the same drive AND A DIFFERENT DRIVE, I open a different session which I had been working on at my studio using my laptop rig. It opens fine. NOW I want to import some session data, so I open up the IMPORT SESSION DATA window and select a session that I had finished on my Studio Rig.

Now I get this message: "Could not complete the Open Session...command because end of stream encountered."

Okay, so I figure it'a a similar problem. I close everything down and restart the computer and Pro Tools Mpowered. I attempt to open up the session I want to import from and sure enough: "Could not complete the open session....command because Magic ID does not match"

So what's the deal. Everytime I try to open up a session that I"ve been working on my STUDIO RIG on my Mpowered rig I get these messages. It can't be the drives, I'm using 2 different ones. Plus they both worked fine just yesterday in my Studio! This is happening on at least 4 different sessions as well, and I can't believe that many are getting corrupted.

UNLESS somehow ProTools Mpowered is corrupting them when it first tries to open them...
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Avid

Default Re: End of Stream & Magic ID problems

these are usually file or disk integrity issues. I understand you are using 2 different drives but you may want run a disk check anyway to scan for problems like corrupted volume bit map, bad blocks, etc..

If you can't workaround it, try going back to the original system and the do a "save session copy in" to generate fresh media, ideally on a fresh drive.

regards,
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
these are usually file or disk integrity issues. I understand you are using 2 different drives but you may want run a disk check anyway to scan for problems like corrupted volume bit map, bad blocks, etc..

If you can't workaround it, try going back to the original system and the do a "save session copy in" to generate fresh media, ideally on a fresh drive.

regards,
Glad to finally get a response from someone!

I found the perfect workaround: I went back to my TDM studio rig.

As described in my first post, these same sessions and drives worked perfectly before and they work perfectly now but only on my TDM RIG.

I just today (I'm back home off the road) tried to open one of the sessions on my Intel Macbook Mpowered rig. I got the same "End of stream..." error.

I did nothing to the drive, no utilities, nothing. I simply booted up my TDM rig, started Pro Tools HD, attached the drive, opened the session and lo and behold, the session works perfectly. NO ERRORS, no problems loading. It plays back, I can work on it as always.

SO, what is the problem with my Intel based system??? There is obviously no corruption on these sessions or the drives. Something else is wrong. Can you give me an idea of what to try?

For now, thank goodness, I'm back in my studio able to work. But I go on the road again soon. Any help would be appreciated.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 PM

I wonder if this could be part of the problem. The info below is from the Maudio driver site and states that the latest driver for Mac OS 10.4.8 is compatible with M-Powered 7.1.1. I'm running 7.3. Are they just not good at updating their site, or should you guys check to see if this driver is compatible with Pro Tools' later versions?

Fast Track USB

Version: 1.6.2

Release Date: May 30, 2006

Applies to:
Fast Track USB

Operating System(s):
Mac OS 10.4.6 - Intel, Mac OS 10.4.7 - Intel, Mac OS 10.4.8 - Intel, Mac OS 10.4.9 - Intel

Release Notes:
- Added support for Intel-based Macintosh computers.

This driver supports Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Mac Intel Computers.

NOTE: Driver is only needed if you intend to run Pro Tools M-Powered, Fast Track USB will work with all other applications as a class compliant device with no drivers installed.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:

regards,
You know, it seems like with as little traffic as there is in this forum (M-Powered) that someone could routinely respond to the problems here.

This problem is NOT a disk integrity problem or file corruption. I just spent the last week working with these same two drives on my TDM HD rig. Not a single problem opening any session, importing from or to a session. Not a single crash, not a single problem with either drive, or ANY of the sessions. The drives and files show no problems with the HD rig.

I just borrowed an M-Audio Firewire 410 to see if perhaps the problems (described in my first post) on my Intel Macbook were due to the FastTrack interface. This was not the case. I took the SAME drives and sessions that I just spent the last week problem free with, opened Pro Tools M-Powered on my Macbook with the Firewire 410. I tried to open a session and get the "End of Stream" error.

So can somebody tell me what is going on that I can work problem free on a Pro Tools HD Accel system, but take those same drives and not even be able to open a session with a Macbook Pro Tools M-Powered system? To me this points to something wrong with Pro Tools M-Powered, or My Macbook (which works fine with everything else).

I'm using Mac OS 10.4.8 with M-Powered 7.3.1. The only difference I see is that I'm still on Pro Tools 7.2.1cs1 on my HD rig. I've done all the ususal troubleshooting things on the Intel system.

I'd sure like to clear this up so that I can feel like I can actually go out of town and work with Pro Tools.