Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Default moving sessions to ext. hd

I just bought a new ext. hd and would like to move some sessions from my internal to the external. I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of problems once they are moved. I just want to be able to open the files and record and have them record straight to the ext. w/o messing with the disc allocation. How do I do this?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Default Re: moving sessions to ext. hd

Can someone please answer this? I need to move the files by tonight and I don't know how long that will take.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Easy as pie. Just open your Finder, and drag the entire session folders from your internal drive to the new external.
In the future, whenever you create a new session, just make sure the external is where the info is saved.
You should be fine.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Easy as pie. Just open your Finder, and drag the entire session folders from your internal drive to the new external.
In the future, whenever you create a new session, just make sure the external is where the info is saved.
You should be fine.

Actually that won't technically work unless he also goes in and updates Disk Allocation. When you drag and drop, the Pro Tools session file is not updated to point to the new location of the files. If the audio files are still in the original location, that's where Pro Tools will play them from, NOT from the location he dragged the session folder to.

The better way - open the session and do a 'Save Copy In' and choose the option to copy all audio files. This will create a new session as well as grabbing all the audio files wherever they may be and copying them to the new location and updating disk allocation.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You should be fine.

Actually that won't technically work unless he also goes in and updates Disk Allocation. When you drag and drop, the Pro Tools session file is not updated to point to the new location of the files. If the audio files are still in the original location, that's where Pro Tools will play them from, NOT from the location he dragged the session folder to.

The better way - open the session and do a 'Save Copy In' and choose the option to copy all audio files. This will create a new session as well as grabbing all the audio files wherever they may be and copying them to the new location and updating disk allocation.
I stand corrected. I guess I had *incorrectly* assumed that dragging an entire session folder from one drive to another was no different than if, say, you were dragging the folder from a DVD to an external... Or from one external to another.

I didn't realize that it would create problems if it had originally been saved on your internal.

But since I've never recorded to my internal drive with Pro Tools (winks at Digi Tech Support... HA HA), I made the wrong assumption.

So yeah, do what *he* said.