Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Re: H/W Buffer and Latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks, Jack. I don't use either in standalone mode as I'm always composing and laying down tracks. I tried hosting the VST versions of both EW and Omni in both Patchwork and Reaper. No difference.
Granted what I posted I got as standalone but these same settings also are used when inside PT. That's why I didn't include the audio tab settings for Play.

I think I asked this before and I don't recall that you answered it - are you using the instrument version of Patchwork? There's three versions that get installed - standalone, the synth hosting version and one meant for fx. Blue Cat did the synth hosting version because people were having issues hosting vi's inside the original version.

BTW I can run 256 buffer with no issues but I best not make any adjustments to a plugin while the transport is running. 128 is also okay but I reliably get audio glitches if an autosave happens with the transport running.

Needless to say I've gotten good at sliding audio tracks around to compensate for the timing.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM

The freeze function is great but I've noticed some VI's/plugins are really heavy on resources even with only one instance. With a older computer I try to avoid resource hungry VI's. You already probably know this but Xpand2 and Nexus2 are really cpu friendly. With a little eq'ing and multiband compression I can get better sounds out of them. Also if I do use more resource hungry VI's I try do turn off processing and effects in the VI and replace them with CPU friendly reverb, delays, etc.

It would be nice to have a new 6950x 10 core rig. Would probably be able to set and forget the hardware buffer at 64 with that one. But at over $5000 dollars it's currently out of my budget.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
The freeze function is great but I've noticed some VI's/plugins are really heavy on resources even with only one instance. With a older computer I try to avoid resource hungry VI's. You already probably know this but Xpand2 and Nexus2 are really cpu friendly. With a little eq'ing and multiband compression I can get better sounds out of them. Also if I do use more resource hungry VI's I try do turn off processing and effects in the VI and replace them with CPU friendly reverb, delays, etc.

It would be nice to have a new 6950x 10 core rig. Would probably be able to set and forget the hardware buffer at 64 with that one. But at over $5000 dollars it's currently out of my budget.
Out of my budget, too, Chris. Yeah, its funny how resource hungry some VI's can be. EW, Omnisphere and Serum are my worst offenders. And, yes, I most often turn off the VI's internal fx as I prefer to work with dry signals and process with plugins I like. Of course, there's always exceptions to that rule if a particular internal effect really has the sound I want. That's why track freeze is so nice.

I ran a little experiment this morning and with just 1 instrument track in the session and NO other tracks at all, and 1 instance of Serum, my system usage meter was pegging in the red at 99+ on several of the patches. And that's just playing them off my MIDI keyboard...nothing recorded at all. That's just way too much resource devouring! The H/W was at 256 I believe.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Thanks Jack. I'll play with it again tomorrow. You've been helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks Jack. I'll play with it again tomorrow. You've been helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I try to help when I can. And if it works for someone - more's the better. I'll be interested to see if it works for you.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The EW Play and Omnisphere engines are out and out cpu hogs. I've never had good luck running them at low buffer settings and my system ain't nothing to sneeze at.
Funny thing is Omnisphere has no problem with lower buffer settings as AU
Old 04-25-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Funny thing is Omnisphere has no problem with lower buffer settings as AU
Interesting - I guess you're using Logic then for the au?

QAPLA!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Donald:
Attached are my settings for EW Play and Omnisphere. I don't remember exactly which I changed as it's been a while. These are all in standalone mode.
Your settings and mine are almost the same. I've tried a few tweaks, but no noticeable difference in the delay issue.