Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 AM
SKnote

Default Starting development for Venue - What is needed first?

We just started development for AAX-DSP and Venue.

Any suggestion or request about what is needed the most?

- compression
- dynamic EQ
- life-savers (feedback destroyer?)
- tools (bass enhancer?)
- delay
- microphone modeling
- console modeling
- anything else

If you want to spend a minute you can let me know here or by email at quintosardo at yahoo dot it. It would be very useful and appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Starting development for Venue - What is needed first?

Dynamic eq and console/preamp Modeling would be my top two :)
Old 05-18-2016, 02:01 AM
SKnote

I wonder if microphone modeling could be interesting for tracking?
Something quite new I guess...

(Together with preamp and channel modeling, of course).

Like a channel strip with preamp mic and console modeling. Yumm...
Old 05-18-2016, 06:53 AM

H3000 style effects processor, TC Helicon Voice Live style processor, EQ with frequency analyzer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Wow, great to see a developer asking future clients, thanks already.

My wish list would be:

Reverb - Lexicon Style, with low DSP resources and DSP sharing ( make the sharing part a feature of all plugins

Reverb/Fx - Convolution Style, there are a lot of good room and amp responses out there in the Internet, would be great to use them live as reverb, guitar amp simulator etc.

Tap Delay - there is still room for more options in the tap delay domain

Drum Replacement / virtual instruments - I don't know if it is even possible, but having the chance to do a drum replacement on the fly would be great, I used it a lot while still mixing on the "Software audio Console".

Thanks again and good luck with the programming,

Karel
Old 05-18-2016, 12:28 PM
SKnote

You're welcome Karel, thanks all for your help so far.

@Karel: please help me to understand a bit better how this DP/Venue world works:

Reverb and delays: you'd like them on DSP for less CPU load while mixing and for live use.
Drum replacement: for mixing only, NOT live, right? (Wow, live realtime replacement...)

DSP sharing: you mean the mixed DSP mode, where part of computing is done by DSP and part from CPU.

Last edited by quintosardo; 05-18-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:46 PM

I'm very much with Karel on the live replacement idea, I actually asked for it in 2010 on the ideascale http://avid.venue.ideascale.com/a/dt...gin/21717-5162

Other than that, Line6 Echo Farm replacement is much needed, it was never clear why Avid killed it in the first place, quintosardo please look at the Line6 Echo Farm to see what we used to have on the first gen Venue desks, we basically need a clone of that.

Dyn EQ... well, McDSP has done it right, so do it only if you can make it better :)

Chorus! Hell yeah we need a creamy super-duper nice chorus, I don't know any AAX DSP chorus plugins, I myself use Avid delay plugin that has a chorus as a side-effect right now by keeping the delay @ 0ms and using the chorus part of the plug only. Would love to have a dedicated chorus plug!

Oh, and last but not least, we need a RenBass / Maxxbass clone, not a pitch shift thing but exactly what Waves has done. Don't be shy, just rip it off and release it for us ok ok just kidding, but still, RenBass is amazing, basically it's the only Waves plug I really really miss using on S3L vs Profile. Quite often I find myself thinking during the gig that how much cooler it would sound if I had RenBass... I have been thinking about getting the HW processor, but damn, it would be the same size as my E3 engine and my setup has become so lovely small.. thats why I haven't got the unit. Plus it's expensive. Plug would be awesome!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Reverb and delays: you'd like them on DSP for less CPU load while mixing and for live use.
I believe Karel means low DSP usage, because some existing Reverbs occupy too much DSP. DSP usage is both DSP processing time and DSP memory usage. Smaller usage means more plug-ins can be run on the console at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
DSP sharing: you mean the mixed DSP mode, where part of computing is done by DSP and part from CPU.
DSP sharing is an ability of some AAX plug-ins to share DSP resources between instances when more than one plug-in is placed in one DSP. I believe this is documented in the AAX SDK.

P.S. In VENUE, no plug-in processing is done on CPU, only on DSP.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:10 PM

I think the idea about live drum replacement would be awesome. Kind of like the old Wendall Samplers that we used to use way back when. If you could come up with this, you'd clean up!!! But would be even better if this worked on the older Venue's out there as well as the new generation of S3,6L's
Old 05-18-2016, 05:39 PM
SKnote

Uhm... what format do the older Venues use?

Also, drum replacement: dedicated mics, right?
We have a very well behaving, threshold-less algorithm...
What about cymbals?

DSP share: oh, ok, chip share!

Last edited by quintosardo; 05-18-2016 at 06:00 PM.