Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Huge adc bug!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic machine View Post
yes, i understand that it is not a simple question of greed vs. integrity, and i'm sure there are some people at digi/avid who are really trying hard to make this software something to be proud of, and aren't satisfied with shoddy programming or design. And I already had in mind the reality - if Logic smokes PT then we'll all have a problem, because, as you point out, low sales equals little money to hire developers, etc., and then nothing gets fixed.

Getting back to the midi bug- I hope in the future, avid can take more notice of a problem like this, which affected basically every HD user, much more seriously. I know I would prefer being able to record MIDI properly to having adjustable color brightness on my tracks, or even to having the second set of sends and auxes, which i'm sure took some time to work out. All of this to say, the features are nice, but I am sure most professional users would be willing to miss out on christmas, so to speak, so they could have the basic stuff working.

Also, a bug list, and what is planned for each item, would be a great way to save people time hunting down issues in their system. That is probably another "sales killer" that can't be implemented, but one can dream.
You still don't quite understand - Avid has taken notice of this and to some it may not seem that it has the priority that some think it should have. Sure, we'd all like to have all of our aggravations fixed with the program yesterday but understand there's a finite amount of: people to work the problem & hours in the day. Some things may just be easier to implement and/or fix and it's that kind of low-hanging fruit that companies tend to go after. People that have been in this game a long time have pretty much always known PT doesn't have a stellar reputation for MIDI work and go elsewheres for MIDI-based production. It's starting to change but not fast enough for some.

Having a bug list - yeah, that'd be nice. But you'll probably never see an official bug list, nor will you ever see an official response on exactly what is being done to swat said bugs. All you'll get is a 'we're working on it' and that's not a bad thing. Look at it this way - at least you're getting a response and not left totally hanging out in the cold (especially in the Northeast US ).

QAPLA!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:30 PM

i do understand. This huge disaster of a bug is now being fixed. Later than it should have been. I am quite familiar with the MIDI "game", since i have been working with digidesign since my audiomedia card and samplecell card, and then passed through PTIII, PT mix, and PTHD over the years. With a side order of digi002 along the way.) At some point the problems with the midi programming design of protools were worth the pain because the mixing and audio were functioning better than digital performer back. But saying "pro tools isn't the best at midi" does not excuse letting this bug exist for two years. I am not asking for this to be fixed yesterday with no reason. I would love for the midi to go to the ultimate level (midi efx like ableton has would be awesome for example), but most important is just to function in peace with my system.

And i do understand that some response is better than no response. The fact that digitechsupt has responded is definitely worth something in this situation. It shows someone is listening. I am just expressing my feelings to that person, hoping that the people at AVID will use the phrase, "loyal customer", a few more times than they already have this week. How about an email from the ceo saying, "Hey team, remember our loyal customers this week." Another way for AVID to make money is to support the professionals using their stuff so well that we don't have to spend tons of time teching our gear and can spend more time finishing work. Then we will have lots more extra money to buy all the little add-ons and instruments they make.

OK, I will stop now. I watched other people submit what i thought was the necessary explanation of this bug, I felt it didn't receive enough attention, I was irritated about that, and I asked for more attention. There is no real problem here beyond what gets fixed and when. When information about that is available I would love to hear it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Does 8.1.1 fix this issue? Page 2 reads:

"When using Delay Compensation and recording MIDI to an Instrument track while simultaneously bussing the Instrument track’s audio output to an Audio track, the recorded audio would be out of sync with the MIDI. (PTSW-56742)

When using Delay Compensation, recorded audio and MIDI now line up correctly in the Edit window timeline."
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Yes, it's fixed. That's what that says.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 PM

I am having all kinds of ADC issues with 8.1.1, bounced tracks are shifted early with ADC on, late with it off (latency). If 7.4 m powered lined up the audio correctly in the edit window what's the issue in HD 8? Did the code just get FK'd
somewhere along the way? Having to manually shift audio reminds me of working with tape, slow and painful. Version 8.0 seemed the best with ADC and midi timing. I guess its time to uninstall it just like all the other updates and deal with the crashes.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic machine View Post
yes, i understand that it is not a simple question of greed vs. integrity, and i'm sure there are some people at digi/avid who are really trying hard to make this software something to be proud of, and aren't satisfied with shoddy programming or design. And I already had in mind the reality - if Logic smokes PT then we'll all have a problem, because, as you point out, low sales equals little money to hire developers, etc., and then nothing gets fixed.

Getting back to the midi bug- I hope in the future, avid can take more notice of a problem like this, which affected basically every HD user, much more seriously. I know I would prefer being able to record MIDI properly to having adjustable color brightness on my tracks, or even to having the second set of sends and auxes, which i'm sure took some time to work out. All of this to say, the features are nice, but I am sure most professional users would be willing to miss out on christmas, so to speak, so they could have the basic stuff working.

Also, a bug list, and what is planned for each item, would be a great way to save people time hunting down issues in their system. That is probably another "sales killer" that can't be implemented, but one can dream.
I've just learned that it pays to read as much as you can on here before you buy a protools system. I can see why you'd be mad, this is some pretty expensive kit!
Unless I'm missing something, if you bought protools 8 and you had a PPC mac, you are out of luck regarding the midi fix?
I don't see the midi fix in the last update, 8.01 cs2.
So if you've got a PPC setup you're going to have to upgrade your Mac and either get a magma chassis or sell your pci cards and buy pcie cards for the midi fix?
I wish I'd read this thread before buying my pci cards last fall!
Oh well, I can run 9 on my laptop.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM

I didn't read all 15 pages, but I think the culprit is Boom. I've never had any DC issue's when using VI's and yesterday I started a new session using Boom (a VI I hardly ever use) and there was a serious DC issue.

It seems PT's doesn't compensate Boom or visa versa, but I'm almost sure Boom is the problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 PM

I completely agree. I too was using Boom yesterday and noticed this. Boom plays early. I have noticed that I have to drag additional notes quite a bit early to sync up to the groove that Boom is playing. I then later put sound toys Devil Loc Delux on Boom and everything fell completely apart. Groove completely gone. There is definitely something fishy with Boom. Perhaps this should be a new post.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM

The only VI plugins that have ever been unstable or malfunctioning on my system are the Digi ones. Velvet is downright unusable for me and has been since I first installed it back in 7.4 on tiger.

It's almost funny.

Z
Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 AM

I had the same instability problems with Vevet as well. Then, by happenstance, I switched to using VE Pro for hosting all but the Avid VI's and all of a sudden Velvet started working, as it was the only VI running as an RTAS plugin in P Tools. My point is that it seems to work if there are no other VI's running alongside it. Still, it's an absolute disgrace that products that are designed and manufactured by Avid don't actually work correctly in another Avid product, unless you stumble on a work around.