How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2002, 11:28 AM

Default Volume inconsistency

Has anyone experienced this...

I have a pari of Genelec 1032s connected to the Alt Monitor section of the C24. I realize it's a digital signal but the audio volume will occasionally "jump" up or down to the next interval without touching it. Its as if the volume knob is a stepped controller that regardless of where you turn the volume it decides and moves to the nearest interval shortly after placing the volume where you want it.

Extremely annoying!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Volume inconsistency

Mine does that also.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:53 PM

Mine does as well. I don't know if it's something that digi can fix or not. It kinda throws ya for a loop when that happens don't it?
Old 11-13-2002, 05:30 AM

well, crap. i was thinking of buying one next year, but that would be a pain in the arse. digi, any fixes?
Old 11-13-2002, 05:49 AM

Yeah Digi! how about it????

Don't get me wrong...I love my C24.
Great bang for the buck.

I use it with my HD3 system and I use a HUI with my Mix3 system. Wouldn't really consider a Pro Control for what I do.
But...I would love to see a fix for this problem before we're hit with another new control surface from you guys.

PS easier access to the phantom power would be nice too. Next time I guess.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Avid

It sounds as though you might have your monitoring system set up so that your working range on the C|24's MAIN MONITOR LEVEL pot is in the 9 - 10 o' clock range. You should calibrate your monitoring so that your working range is around 2 o' clock on the MAIN MONITOR LEVEL pot. The reason we recommend this set up is as follows:

The monitor level control is accomplished electronically, so the actual rotary level control is really a shaft encoder as opposed to an analog pot. There are a finite number of steps (in this case I think it's 32) on the rotary control, which means there will be some compromise between how large the control range is and how large the individual steps are. The taper was specially designed by Focusrite to offer the best control range, given the fixed number of steps. However, there is a nearly 10dB "bump" in the level control down around the nine O'clock position on the control. This is normal and if the monitor system is set up properly, should not be a problem.

To set up monitoring with the C|24 properly, do the following:
Set the monitor power amplifier gain (or powered monitor gain) so that reasonably loud (but not "blasting") monitor levels occur at around 2:00 on the C|24's MAIN MONITOR LEVEL pot. This allows another 10dB of gain to check low level detail and reverb tails, etc. while providing a good working range of adjustment, as well.

My guess is that you might have your volume pot right at the delineation of the 10dB "bump" in the level control down around the nine O'clock position of the pot. Proper set up of your monitors (following the directions above) should eliminate the volume problem you describe.

Steve
Old 11-16-2002, 02:49 AM

Simple to go by procedures. Place the main mon. control at 2 O'clock position and then in the PT on the master fader insert a signal generator and put out Pink Noise at 0dB. Get a SPL meter and set the meter to C waiting / Slow. Then increase the Speaker amp's volume to a position where the SPL meter reads 85 dBc. Do this for main speakes and near fields individually. Things will be smooth.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the replies.
However, not all active monitors have volume control.
My Genelec 1030s do not. I don't recall if the 1032s do either. What then?

Digi...are you suggesting that I switch my monitor assignment and place the Genelecs on the main monitor connection instead of the Alt Monitor?
Old 11-18-2002, 01:39 AM

The Genelec has an input Trim at the back, you can use that for setting the levels.