Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 AM

Unhappy Missing 'Built-in output' option in Pro Tools Express on Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard)

Hello,

I've searched for hours on Google and this forum, but can't seem to find a previous post with the same issue and a solution for it, so apologies in advance if it has been answered somewhere (or if it is user error on my part).

I'm on a Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard) with Pro Tools Express (10.2) installed.

Pro Tools only seems to recognize my MBox 3, and not my Built-in output/input (Macbook internal speakers/mic). In Audio MIDI Setup, I see the Built-in input/output entries, as well as the Pro Tools Aggregate I/O containing both, but within Pro Tools Express itself, 'Playback Engine' has no pull-down menu for 'Current Engine' (same when I hold down 'N' on startup). It just has MBox 3 as plain text.

I have tried various things (clean uninstall/reinstall of PTE and MBox 3 driver), altering the frequency of the Built-in output from Audio MIDI Setup, etc.

Any ideas? Anyone know what makes the Built-in output detectable to Pro Tools? Any thoughts at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Missing 'Built-in output' option in Pro Tools Express on Macbook Pro (Snow Leopar

Ugh, of course, the second I post this, I read the FAQ carefully and find that it's worded in the inverse sense, thus never turning up during my problem Googling.

Q: Will Pro Tools Express work with other audio interfaces besides Mbox and Mbox Mini?
A: No. Pro Tools Express was designed to work exclusively with Mbox (3rd Gen) and Mbox Mini (3rd Gen) only. It does not work with other Avid interfaces, and cannot be used with third-party interfaces through Core Audio or ASIO.

Thanks anyway!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Missing 'Built-in output' option in Pro Tools Express on Macbook Pro (Snow Leopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandvampire View Post
Ugh, of course, the second I post this, I read the FAQ carefully and find that it's worded in the inverse sense, thus never turning up during my problem Googling.
Thanks anyway!
Murphy will do that at every opportunity.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 AM

Wish I'd seen your thread sooner, grandvampire. i also just spent many hours trying to figure this out. avid's documentation on this, and the search ability of their user forums, is truly abysmal. curious: which faq did you finally re-read to figure this out? i can't find it.

cheers,
storkindeutschland