Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2000, 08:51 AM

Default Re: ??(From Mac to K2500)

Shortly....:
It looks like I have to initialize the Hard
disk from the Mac (DOS), not from the Kurzweil. I did this with the EzDrive and
it looks like it works OK.......now....
I can not initialize the ("big") Quantum drive... (Not yet, anyway...)
Is this making any sense???
OK, what has all this to do with Digi??
....maybe some future "improvements"
(Sample SCSI transfer, stereo samples
support...) (PTLE...)
Old 08-21-2000, 10:02 PM

you need to be real careful about what you do between the mac and k2500 drives. as was mentioned before, it is a variation of DOS that may or may not like the things you do to it. just because it mounts on your desktop, i wouldn't do anything more than drag stuff off *from* the kurzweil to the mac desktop or where ever.

i only mentioned the fact that the drive appears on the desktop to *back up files* when i need to...

NOTHING ELSE!!!!

so ....do the transfers in peak, and save what's in the kurzweil to the kurzweil... in fact, most of the time i unmount the k2500 drive so i don't do anything retarded to it.

weird DOS disk formats and macs don't seem to like each other. i can see the zip drive for my MPC2000 on my desktop, but i have learned not to mess with it from the mac side. do the same with your K2500.

Old 08-22-2000, 03:53 AM

Ok dude, here is what i do.

Mac has 2 hard drives ,Drive one split in 2....MacOS on small <500Meg Partition, Apps an net downloads in the other partition.

Second hard drive (int or ext) is used only as an Audio storage/editing drive. This is also formatted in HFS/HFS+. This drive is used by the Mac, and only the Mac,NOT the Kurzweil. Use it with as an interim storage drive. Import a sample from the K2500 into Peak..Save to this hard drive.....edit it an send back to K2500.(same but inverse method-ie use Peak to transmit the file back)

Have another external drive with external media (Zip/Jaz etc) and use this to save your K2500 Program/Sample data. Don't use these disks on the Mac, format them with the K2500. Make sure u dont have the Iomega drivers installed (on the Mac). If u do, the Mac will mount the disks, u dont want this. If u dont know what u are doing u can corrupt the disks very ezily.This can occur when u read an write to them with both the Mac/K2500 without ejecting the disk everytime.

I can't recall a time where i have had any trouble with this set up. U use a Zip drive only for the K2500.....all my mates with K2000's also have Zips so it is ez to drop em into their machines when i go to their studios.

I have found one potential prollem tho..that is there still is no DOS First Aid type application for the Mac. I find this situation really pathetic. It is fine for the Mac to Mount, read an write to DOS formatted disks but if the disk ever needs to be repaired, your'e screwed cos there is no app that repairs DOS disks. Dumb huh......oh yeah i dont know anyone with Windoze machines so that is not a solution.

Anyways...hope all worx out to be cool.

EZ man

TaRGØN

[This message has been edited by Targon (edited August 22, 2000).]
Old 08-23-2000, 12:44 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I disabled the PC exchange extension and everything works OK.....No drive on the desktop, but the rest (and most important) is now under control.......(OK, in a perfect world, the communication between
K2500 and Mac would be perfect, and, yes....really great, but...)
About Peak...I understand the basic and it works. I don´t really understand how the plug-ins stuff works....In fact, they don´t. (I am talking about Premiere, etc...)I don´t have TDM. (I have 001), but I do have some VST plug-ins and I don´t know where to ..."put" them, to get them work....
...but I steel have 12 days to figure that out. ...and, then it looks like
I have the buy-it (Peak, I mean!).
On the other hand, a PC (...............), with Sound Forge and Acid ...????
Is there anyone using K2500 with Sound Forge ??
OK, back to work! Thanks again!/P.