Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Old Sync I/O with new HDX hardware?

Can I use my old Sync I/O with new HDX/HD I/O hardware or do I need to replace that too?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Old Sync I/O with new HDX hardware?

Works with HDN, so I guess it also works with HDX but won't work with PT 11 anymore, as stated in the official PT HD 11 specs sheet.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 AM

At one of the places I work, they have PT10 HDX and bought the new Sync HD.

But we tried the old units as well and they worked fine. But it won´t apparently work in PT11, so if you´re thinking of upgrading, maybe it´s better to start thinking about getting the new unit.

But depending on your setup, you can also have another brand wordclock unit and drive your converters and digital gear from there. It´s not mandatory to use the Sync HD with PT.

I know studios running PT HDX that don´t even have AVID AD/DA converters at all. Mostly are running either AVID MADI HD or HD I/O digital version only and running AD/DA´s from other brands like DAD, Merding or Apogee, driven by Antelope atomic clocks.

I guess that people working in post use the Sync more, to have video or video blackburst sync capability directly interfaced to the HDX or Native card via the serial cable. But in music or mastering it´s a complete diferent story, at least from my own experience.

Paulo M
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM

OK, cool, thanks for the responses. I'm mixing to picture so I need the Sync I/O. I'm making the leap to 10/HDX soon, but I can wait on 11.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM

AVID told me at NAB that if you have the newer HD Sync I/O, even if is is blue and silver, it will work with PT 11. so if your sync I/O can do 23.9, it should work.