Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Default No path from HD to HDN

I'm finding (and a little disappointed) that there is no "downgrade" path for someone like me with a Protools HD system that would like to get into HD Native. I've been told by resellers that my best bet is to go out and find an Mbox or 002 to get a discount, while my significant HD investment is worth nothing towards the purchase. I realize that Avid doesn't want it's bread and butter customers jumping ship on DSP, but there are plenty of us that find HD Native will more than cover our needs, but we have no "assisted" way to get there.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM

Default Re: No path from HD to HDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I'm finding (and a little disappointed) that there is no "downgrade" path for someone like me with a Protools HD system that would like to get into HD Native. I've been told by resellers that my best bet is to go out and find an Mbox or 002 to get a discount, while my significant HD investment is worth nothing towards the purchase. I realize that Avid doesn't want it's bread and butter customers jumping ship on DSP, but there are plenty of us that find HD Native will more than cover our needs, but we have no "assisted" way to get there.
There used to be a limited time offer when 10/HDX came out where you could crossgrade any legacy core card (Mix+, HD etc.) to HDn.
Not anymore.
But is was more expensive than any HDn card you can buy on ebay now. Sell your HD and buy a used HDn plus the update to 11HD and you're done.

WAY cheaper than the upgrade to HDX1.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM

HD Native card/OMNI on Ebay, plus the HD9 to HD10/11 upgrade from AVID ($999) ends up being almost the same as a new HD Native/OMNI purchase.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
HD Native card/OMNI on Ebay, plus the HD9 to HD10/11 upgrade from AVID ($999) ends up being almost the same as a new HD Native/OMNI purchase.
I thought you wanted to keep your interface.
If you want to exchange that too my suggestion doesn't make sense.

Frank.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM

TimR,

They actually had a couple different specials like Frank mentioned. When HDN first came out, you could exchange a core card for the HDN card (which included HD software) for $1595. At that time, this mainly made sense for the old Mix core card owners. Because at the time HD TDM was still current, and could get a lot more by just selling their TDM systems on their own.

Then they took that away, and brought it back later at a higher price (($2100, I think). I believe this was after HDX came out and TDM was discontinued, so the value of TDM cards had dropped.

BUT, I think this was also before they started only selling HD Native systems bundled with interfaces. They sold HDX bundled with interfaces from the start, but for a time they were still selling HD Native cards (with software) on their own (brand new was $3500).

So, to make a long story short, they may have stopped the trade-in to just the HDN card around the time they stopped selling just the HDN card new. And that may have been their reasoning.

As for where to go from here, keep in mind that Avid runs their specials coinciding with each quarter (tying in with corporate quarterly profits, etc.).

Often they will run certain specials for quite a long time, and some are in the category of "ongoing", which are basically permanent. The trade up of TDM to HDX is in that category.

So the next quarter would be around July 1st. You may want to wait and see if they come out with a new special at that time for HD Native.

With the new features in PT11, HD Native might actually make good sense for a TDM owner at this point, whereas before it may not have. That, plus the lowering values of TDM systems, could be an incentive for Avid to have such a special.

On the other hand, you still might see what your TDM stuff would get if you sell it used, then add in what you might normally spend for an HD software upgrade ($599 from HD10), throw that in together, and see if it might make sense to just sell your system and buy a new HD Native system.

Separately, Avid still has the ongoing special of trading in a blue HD interface and getting $1000 off a new HD interface. This is also something to consider if you're looking at additional interfaces, besides whichever one you choose that's bundled with the HD Native system.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Avid/Digidesign used to want to get legacy cards off the market, which is why they offered all those deals throughout the years.

They know now that with PT11 and beyond, you have no choice but to abandon legacy cards and move to HDX since the legacy cards won't work with PT11 and beyond.. Avid is not being hurt much by the guys buying used HD cards as they are not the crowd for the most part that will spend the $$ to buy HDX to remain current with PT Software.

Whereas before, that wasn't the case. If you went from Mix to HD PCI, you could use your Mix cards with the then current version of HD, and when they went to HD PCIe, they wanted the PCI cards off the market because you could use those cards with existing I/O's and PT software. All that making it cheaper for the PRO market to stay in HD with older cards with less motivation to upgrade.

All that is gone for now with HDX and PT11. However, the cycle is most certainly going to repeat as future HDX/PT development happens.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp