Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Default anything faster than bounce?

hi everyone,
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. i couldn't find a clear answer in the archives.
I have four one-hour tv shows mixed into 5 track stems (narration, dialog, mono fx, st. music) there is very little automation and no plugins, just 5 tracks of audio. I need to export them as stereo files or dual mono in order to give to the online studio for layback. and i'm wondering if I can do this faster than real time. I should know this but i'm not sure. I really don't have time to wait for it to process in real time. can i do this with export? or any other way?
thanks alot all.
Munchie
Old 12-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: anything faster than bounce?

In order for you to combine the stems, you will need to bounce, in real time. Pain eh?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM

this only works with mono/stereo but if you highlight a track or region you can "export selected as files" from the audio button above the regions list on the right while in the edit window. you can choose to export them as 44.1 16bit aiff files... much faster than bouncing.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:
this only works with mono/stereo but if you highlight a track or region you can "export selected as files" from the audio button above the regions list on the right while in the edit window. you can choose to export them as 44.1 16bit aiff files... much faster than bouncing.

True that, but doing so will ignore any automation on the tracks. Our poster mentioned that he has automation, and in that situation you must use bounce to disk .
Old 12-15-2005, 08:05 PM

oh well,
thanks everyone. i though so. i have to playback the final episode tomorrow and then go and make bounces of the stereo mixes and M+E mixes, and maybe a mono mix too. all by tomorrow night. i just didn't want to be there until 3 in the morning since i'm flying away on saturday. iam i crazy, or do i remember an old version of pro tools free that wuold bounce faster than real time?
thanks again for your responses
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True that, but doing so will ignore any automation on the tracks. Our poster mentioned that he has automation, and in that situation you must use bounce to disk .

Not to mention combining 5 tracks to 2...
Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:
oh well,
thanks everyone. i though so. i have to playback the final episode tomorrow and then go and make bounces of the stereo mixes and M+E mixes, and maybe a mono mix too. all by tomorrow night. i just didn't want to be there until 3 in the morning since i'm flying away on saturday. iam i crazy, or do i remember an old version of pro tools free that wuold bounce faster than real time?
thanks again for your responses
Ah, deliveries. A feature can have deliveries that go over an entire week... yes, in real time.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Consolidating the track will let you "Export Selected As" with automation; unfortunately that doesn't apply to this poster's situation.

Quote:
iam i crazy, or do i remember an old version of pro tools free that wuold bounce faster than real time?
Not sure about PT Free, but past versions of PT in general allowed for a fast bounce.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 AM

You probably know this: but just in case you were going to bouce 5 times for each episode.

If you have enough tracks left, send the output of your stems to new stereo input tracks. You would need 10 (if you have 5 stems). Record one pass and you'll have complete stereo files for each stem. Just grab them from your audio folder and send them to the client. Film / video folks can usually deal with dual mono at various sample rates. If they dont want that - you can use a program like Peak to convert them to stereo interleaved 16/44 or 16/48 fo Final Cut Pro users.
12 Gb ram
Old 12-16-2005, 07:45 AM

2 possibilities....
I haven't tried this for more than 1 file, so correct me if it can't be done. It also might take more time than 5 realtime bounces, but might have advantages.

insert a send in each track that will be part of the first stem (say you have 4 tracks for that stem, insert sends to bus 9-10 on all)
Set up a new Audio channel for Stem 1 with input set to that bus (9-10)
Repeat for the other 4 stems.
Record the "Stem Audio Tracks" in real time. (outputs muted)

I think this would work and might have the advantage that once it's setup, you can make changes and new stems quickly.

My other suggestion:
Use Logic, you don't have to bounce in real time.