Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2003, 03:24 PM

Default slow starting record problem with PTLE on XP

I have protools and an Mbox on windows xp, It seems to run fine with few crashes, the only problem i am having is that when i press record it takes ages to start, this can be fixed by putting the disk alocation to 5 imins or so, but i need to record 2 hours and the thing seems to take ages (about 5 mins) to kick into record. The verson i have is 5.3.3 although 6.1 is on its way. I am using a Lapotop with 2GHz pentium and 256 of memory. it does have a sis chipset but this seems to be i seem to have got off ok with it. I have tried recording in Nuendo and dont have the same problem, it goes into record straight away so i know its not the mbox. anyone have any sugestions, i have a laci 120 gig firewire drive as my audio drive, and windows is on a 20 gig internal drive both running at 7200rpm the internal drive is set to dma mode 5.

hope someone can help me with this, i thought it might have somthing to do with the amount of memory i have but dont just want to get more memory and find out that its not that at all.

thanks in advance

sleepless
Old 09-17-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: slow starting record problem with PTLE on XP

You need to add more RAM. I had the same problem, tried all kinds of tip and tweaks with no luck. Added more RAM and no looked back.

Puls this is from DIGI specs.
Quote:
Total System RAM:

384 MB minimum
512 MB (or higher) highly recommended

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 09-18-2003, 05:01 AM

cheers i will go get some.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:36 PM

i got some new ram i now have 512 and im still having the problem, its not as bad (maybe 2mins delay instead of 5) but it still is there. any sugestions?
Old 09-20-2003, 02:51 PM

set the recording limit to 3 hours, and see if that helps. 120 GB is a lot of space, and your system tries to allocate all of this space for recording if you dont limit it. Maybe setting the limit to 3 hours will make it quicker.

But it could be that there is something else going on. I have an 80 gb drive, and my system goes into record within the second....

Bastiaan
Old 09-20-2003, 02:56 PM

Ram: 512MB... mine choked with 256MB with 6.1...

HD: Format HD @ FAT32 and biggest clusters...
Also are you using External HD? how much tracks you're trying to record?
Old 09-20-2003, 02:59 PM

Start->Run...

Type in msconfig and hit enter.

Go to the services tab and check the box "Hide all Microsoft services", uncheck everything left over except DigiDesign related services (MMERefresh) if there are any.

Go to the startup tab and uncheck everything except MMERefresh if it's listed.

Press the OK button and restart yur system.. test to see if this problem persists with these settings - and let us know.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-24-2003, 03:48 PM

ok i have tried a few things now, still no joy i timed how long it takes to kick in, 1 min 28 for a recording set to max of 120 mins. and roughly 1 min for han hours worth. I have tried suspending various services that i know i don't use. I have just installed 6.1 still having the same problem. when iinstalled 6.1 it said PT needs a minimum of 356 meg of mem you only have 486, this is lower than recomended. cant work this out next move i suppose is to uninstall the whole thing and re-install. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. all my drives are NTFS but this shouldent make a diffence, nuendo dont seem to have no problems.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:18 PM

even though i have enough ram pro tools keeps telling during install that i need 3 hundred and somthing and i only have 5 hundred and something, it dont make sense, i have un installed and tried again and still having the same problem anyone got any awnsers or had the same problem. windows is showing that i have the 512 meg that ive installed but pro tools is still persistant that i dont have over the 356 or whatever it is. I dont hve any other programs running even in the back ground. maybe someione else has had the same problem. hope they can help.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:32 PM

You wrote above that you've timed how long it takes to start recording, and here you're writing about Pro Tools message during install. Which is it?

I don't think many people have had much success using the Sis chipset with PTLE.

Quote:
even though i have enough ram pro tools keeps telling during install that i need 3 hundred and somthing and i only have 5 hundred and something, it dont make sense, i have un installed and tried again and still having the same problem anyone got any awnsers or had the same problem. windows is showing that i have the 512 meg that ive installed but pro tools is still persistant that i dont have over the 356 or whatever it is. I dont hve any other programs running even in the back ground. maybe someione else has had the same problem. hope they can help.