Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 AM

Default Question about graphics card and PT 12 performance

Hello everyone

I have tried to do as much research on this as I can and I have a rough idea of what I'd like to do, but I'd like to reach out to just get some outside opinions on an issue I'm currently having. I just upgraded my whole rig finally from an older TDM HD2 system to HD Native and I'm trying to squeeze every bit of life left I can out of my current 2009 Mac Pro. The problem is I am definitely seeing some massive slowdown with the graphics and frame rate in PT with certain plugins open. The biggest culprit is the Slate VMR plugin. If I have the GUI for that up PT is literally unusable.

Now, I know that PT and the newest versions of OS Yosemite and El Cap have had some pretty serious problems with graphics and frame rate, and I am not entirely sure if that has been completely resolved or not. I've read through as many other posts about that issue as I could find. From what I understand, the last PT update was supposed to address that problem to a certain degree.

However, I also just upgraded my monitor screen to a new ultra wide monitor and it's running a resolution that's higher than what my older stock Nvidia GeForce GT 120 video card is supposed to support. I actually wasn't even expecting it to work without a new card, but I turned it on and it booted up at 3440x1440 just fine. After I started seeing the problems I tested a few sessions while running at a lower screen resolution and it not only fixed the graphics issue with PT, the mouse cursor movement felt much quicker and snappier as well.

So I'm leaning toward just ordering a new video card from MacVidCards.com but I'm not completely sure if that will solve the problem or if I'm just experiencing the graphics issues that most other people have been and I'll just end up wasting $$$. Again, any outside advice would be appreciated before I pull the trigger and just try ordering the new graphics card.

Heres my current specs:
Computer-8 core 4,1 Mac Pro 2.8ghz "Nehalem" 16 gigs of RAM
OSX ver 10.11.6
Pro Tools HD 12.5.2 software
HD Native
HD I/O 8x8x8
Avid Dock
Old 08-16-2016, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Question about graphics card and PT 12 performance

Even with 10.8.5 I see lag when VMR is open. Not grind to a halt type lag, but the meters are less responsive and things feel choppy. Word is the new Mac OS beta doesn't have the lag. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Two dual processor Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 systems here.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Even with 10.8.5 I see lag when VMR is open. Not grind to a halt type lag, but the meters are less responsive and things feel choppy. Word is the new Mac OS beta doesn't have the lag. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Two dual processor Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 systems here.
Yeah, I'm seeing full blown nothing moves at all with VMR open with more than one module in it. The worst has been the VMS vintage tubes module for the Slate VMS mic (which I'm finding is surprisingly good btw.) If I have any other module in it with the mic selector (like the preamp) I can't click on or move anything at all in that plugin and the meters in PT are pretty much completely frozen.

It may very well be an issue with both, but I'm leaning towards the video card being my biggest issue since it completely fixes the problem with the screen resolution lowered.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix View Post
Yeah, I'm seeing full blown nothing moves at all with VMR open with more than one module in it. The worst has been the VMS vintage tubes module for the Slate VMS mic (which I'm finding is surprisingly good btw.) If I have any other module in it with the mic selector (like the preamp) I can't click on or move anything at all in that plugin and the meters in PT are pretty much completely frozen.

It may very well be an issue with both, but I'm leaning towards the video card being my biggest issue since it completely fixes the problem with the screen resolution lowered.
Do you have the Slate VMS and if so, how good is it and does it stack up against real mics like U67/U87/ as we have some really nice Neumann mics, Sony G800 and a 1988 U87 anwell as a few Manley Mics and then the usual 414's and so on, would love it if the Slate Mic rack and his mic that comes with it sounded as great as it did in my vivid dream the other night

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Do you have the Slate VMS and if so, how good is it and does it stack up against real mics like U67/U87/ as we have some really nice Neumann mics, Sony G800 and a 1988 U87 anwell as a few Manley Mics and then the usual 414's and so on, would love it if the Slate Mic rack and his mic that comes with it sounded as great as it did in my vivid dream the other night
I don't want to get the thread too off topic lol but I did buy the Slate VMS and like I was saying above I'm finding it to be surprisingly good. I thought it would be pretty decent, but it's been much better than I expected so far. Personally I'd say it's a tiny bit brighter than what the real deal sounds like, but the character is definitely there. I haven't had a chance to test it extensively since I basically can't switch between the different mics in the plugin GUI with the graphics problem I'm having. I either have to lower the screen resolution or remove modules.

Since I'm still looking at upgrading the graphics card right now, I thought I'd also ask if anyone has any personal suggestions for the best card to go with for the system specs I listed? I'm just doing audio and not video editing so I'm guessing something middle of the road should be fine. Again, any input is appreciated.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info and to everyone else aswell / Sorry for the OT

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 PM

I've had a good experience on a 5,1 mac with Sapphire for Mac 7950 card...3 displays
HDX 12.5.2
Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM

I decided to go ahead and order a flashed Nvidia card. I will update the post later once I've received and installed it as to whether it solved my issue or not.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:19 PM

I finally received the new video card and installed it. I ended up going with a flashed NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB and I am happy to say that this solved my issue completely! Pro Tools now runs MUCH much more smoothly and I can use all of the plugins that are CPU and GPU hogs just fine. PTs meters are running much smoother as well. The mouse movement and pretty much everything with the computer seems much snappier overall. My issue definitely stemmed from upgrading the computer monitor to an ultra wide with a higher resolution than the original card could handle.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix View Post
I decided to go ahead and order a flashed Nvidia card. I will update the post later once I've received and installed it as to whether it solved my issue or not.
Thanks for posting about this - just curious; why does the card need to be flashed? Did macvidcards sell it to you flashed?

thanks,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6