Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Default Automation (Instrument tracks)

I was wondering what am I doing wrong. Shouldn't I be able to use my automation lanes on a midi or instrument track? I record an organ part using the DB-33 on an instrument track. I would like it to fade out using automation without having to print it to an audio track. Automation works fine on the audio tracks (Master and Aux tracks too). I can't get it to read. I'll use the pencil tool, just grab anything...nothing (mute,pan etc..). Nothing works. Is there a preference I'm missing? Anybody?

I've done a search to try and find out. Didn't get to far. You guys are the best. So i thought I'd ask here.

Thank you for your patience.
Disk
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Automation (Instrument tracks)

Depending on the parameter you'd like to automate you can achieve it by either pressing 'Power Claw' - click (in other words command, alt, ctrl - click) on the parameter (the pot, fader, button etc) and choose 'enable parameter automation'.

If it's a MIDI-parameter you can right click the parameter (again the pot, fader, button etc) and select MIDI LEARN. Now twist a knob, fader or other controller on your MIDI controller device and you can record the movement. If you check which controller number you're using by right clicking the parameter and find the CC number in the little menu, you can bring up the MIDI automation graph for it in the Track View Selector.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM

I know all that. After I draw or automate in the lanes etc.. and i press play there isn't any automation. Yes, I've turned automation on.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Make sure volume and any other element you want to automate is enabled in the automation window. If you've done that then make sure the instrument track is not record enabled.