Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM

Default PT starting up really slow and crashing

ive been using PT on windows 7 wince the update came out, and its worked perfectly fine. however, all of a sudden its been starting up very slowly. it takes about 30 seconds to load each plugin judging from the opening splash screen, and when it does start, it freezes half the time when trying to load a session. it says its restoring a track, but hangs there until windows tells me the program stopped responding. when the program quits, it says i have to reboot because PT didnt shut down properly.
i installed a new HDD that is 5400rpm (1.5TB for $90, so it was a pretty good deal), and id expect that to slow down a session if it was on that drive, but the actual PT installation is on a 7200rpm disk, so i wouldnt think that would be the culprit. any ideas?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Default Re: PT starting up really slow and crashing

You've got your logic backwards. 5400rpm drives are not supported but you can get by in most cases using one for your system drive (where PT is installed). But using a 5400 drive to stream your session files as you are doing is going to cause you headaches.
More details about your system would be helpful to see if there are other issues.
Also, for what it's worth, PT is a very SLOW starter for most of us...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM

ive been using PT for about 6 years and ive never had to with this long for the program itself to start up. i used OSX up until the windows 7 update came out. as i said, it started up much quicker in windows 7 than it does now. it would take around 45 seconds for the program to fully boot before i could load a session, and now it takes about 5 minutes. then i have to cross my fingers and hope it doesnt freeze when i try to load a session.

i know 5400rpm drives arent supported, which is why all of my sessions are on the 7200rpm drive. the only reason i mentioned the new drive is because PT started loading slowly soon after its installation. im not 100% if it was at the exact time, but it was close. i dont believe it should matter, though, because the slower drive doesnt contain any of the PT system files, or any files relating to PT for that matter.

i wish i had more information, but theres nothing too specific about it. it just boots significantly slower and freezes often when trying to open a session.

thanks for the info, though.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Thought you were using the new 5400 drive as your audio drive.

As I said above though, really going to need detailed info on your system to have any more suggestions.

Please see these two links and post a SANDRA report.
Help us help you - what you need to know before posting!
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE on Windows (XP & Vista)
Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM

ah sorry i just had a root canal and im on some heavy pain killers, so i forgot to post my specs haha

3.4ghz intel quad CPU
8gb ram
windows 7 ultimate x64
WD 640gb HDD 7200rpm
samsung 1.5 TB HDD 5200 rpm

digi 002
PT 8.0.3

i forgot to delete the DAE folders during my troubleshooting, and now that i did that, i cant load PT at all. it says it cant find the digidesign hardware. usually a power cycle of the 002 fixes that, but it didnt this time. neither did restarting the computer. ive never had this many PT problems until i switched to windows, and im really regretting it.

EDIT: i did a repair from the 8.0.3 update installer and its loading up again. still very slow, though.