How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Perpetual limbo

Been on PT since 6.something. A while back I started doing upgrades via Sweetwater because I buy my gear through them. Last March I was moved into the Perpetual license scenario. I paid my $99 (plus the $99 for the plug-ins just to see what those were like). As far as I understood, this entitled me to support and software updates for the calendar year. Pretty cool.

However, I've been in this weird spot where I can't do Mac OS updates when a new major release comes out because PT isn't supported yet. By the time PT would be supported, you can't get the x.0 release to then get to the version that's supported. Granted, I don't record often, so I'll take the hit on just not finding the right window when the stars aligned.

My real issue is that apparently I had 30 days to activate my annual plan [I may have received one email about that, but of course this was really different from what I had before]. Avid cancelled my annual plan even though someone had my money. I didn't find out until I went to update to a newer PT release. I have no email from Avid saying that I was dropped.

So what did I get for my money? Nothing. What kind of business practice is this? Sweetwater says they have attempted contact with Avid to rectify this (either reinstate me or refund the money). No can do. I can pay $299 to reinstate. Listen, if I had been though this annual plan thing before I would have known about this weird thing where I pay money but flush it down the toilet if I don't activate. It would make sense that letting a previous annual plan expire would not allow you to renew after the 30 day grace period, but I paid!!!

Anyone else stuck in this limbo (or hell rather)?