Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Default Exporting AAF to Avid with Automation

Hey all,

I'm trying to export and embed automation in an AAF from Pro Tools 12 to be delivered to my editor's Avid session. Volume and volume trim are the parameters that are of utmost importance.

Is volume trim even possible to export? I know I've unpacked an AAF with volume automation intact.

Thanks everyone for your help.

-----------
jordanlross
Mac Pro
Pro Tools 12 HD
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Arrow Re: Exporting AAF to Avid with Automation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlross View Post
Hey all,

I'm trying to export and embed automation in an AAF from Pro Tools 12 to be delivered to my editor's Avid session. Volume and volume trim are the parameters that are of utmost importance.

Is volume trim even possible to export?
This is not possible. Pro Tools uses sample accurate volume automation. Media Composer uses frame accurate volume automation. This means that you could have volume moves in Pro Tools within the time of a video frame that are impossible to playback in Media Composer.

I have brought this feature request up with the Media Composer team. I have no idea when it will become a reality.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Exporting AAF to Avid with Automation

Now on nearly every job I do as a post sound editor I am asked the following questions by the picture editor:
Avid and Digidesign are the same company, right? Why don't their systems work together better?

AAF imports/exports is but one example.

I am now asked to start designing sound days after shooting wraps. The picture will go through many iterations on the way to final release. There are so many obstacles that exist in sharing between media composer and pro-tools that sometimes it's easier to just start from scratch. I feel that there has been very little advancement in this area in several years. Am I wrong?
Old 01-15-2016, 03:12 PM

No you are not, it's a total joke, wish they would address the issue
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 01-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
I have brought this feature request up with the Media Composer team. I have no idea when it will become a reality.
The time base issues between PT's and MC has been a known since before Avid brought DigiDesign (early/mid 90's) so I will not be holding my breath whilst waiting for reality.
However when it comes to the question of volume automation's importing back to MC I have yet to meet a Sound Designer or Final Mixer who has the remotest interest in having any MC editor tinker with their master piece.
Consider IF Avid enabled volume automation to import to MC I would question how many video editors have enough MC audio tracks or many of the plugins that have been used in creating the mix. After that do many (if any) have an environment with sound monitors that would enable them to make meaningful changes.
Even if I had all of the above I am certain that I do not have "BIG" ears. Obviously if I did I would have become a Sound Designer and consequently would not have wanted me to get a volume automation in my video suite.
For me as the editor I prefer to be delivered a bounced mix that I can make suggestions about, if I "feel the need".
Andrew