Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Exclamation A Game Changer!!-Pro Tools AS a Rewire Slave-with RME TotalMix!! &collectively64bit!

Pro Tools 9 & 10 can be run AS a ReWireSlave/RunParallel with RME TotalMix and would be collectively 64bit

The TotalMix Loopback Virtual Audio Bus can port audio directly into other DAWs running in Master Mode and running on the SAME computer, and with minimal latency, and NO external cables.
The RME audio device driver allows MULTIPLE applications all in Master Mode to be assigned to and running simultaneously inside TotalMix- the virtual mixer software for their audio devices- This is a Breakthrough!
This makes TotalMix the Master Host Application

Just control/click the radio button on the bottom of the TotalMix channel until it turns RED- then you can see how far the rabbit hole goes
The red button means the channel is now in loopback bus mode. You can take PT's multiple outputs and port it into another daw or daws
or port audio from other daws into Pro Tools

Page 62-
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/hdspeaio_e.pdf

Add this Virtual Audio Bus with the IAC Midi Driver and you have the 2 ingredients needs to run PT as a Rewire Slave. Just adjust the I/Os as to not get feedback.

This gives Major Advantages by allowing the Midi Features in other daws to play Pro Tools instruments and use PT effects
And RAM usability is SERIOUSLY improved as 32bit applications are now allowed 2 GB a piece instead of 2GB total. See Apogee's VBUS description for a better explanation. (Apogee unfortunately only works after the 32nd channel).
http://www.apogeedigital.com/product...ystem-vbus.php

Adjust the Pro Tools windows as needed, this will save in your PT session and allows organized sharing of screen space.

Controllers $60 and $100 Low Cost and Space Effecient-
Use NanoKontrol2 with automap to control the PT fadars and NovationNocturn to control the elusive AIR effects..

RME is High Definition for cheap. Just look at the AIO card. $850 gets you pci-e performance and breakout cables (just to get started) and a host of I/O options.
Also takes 3rd party Adat I/O devices ranging from $300 to $1000

Additional ideas- Run Traktor Parallel/Rewire to Pro Tools with TotalMix and record its output directly into Pro Tools

Hope this helps those of you who are looking for Alternative ways to run Pro Tools..
Diccer
Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Re: A Game Changer!! -Pro Tools AS a Rewire Slave- with RME TotalMix!!

Cool, you did it. :)

Reminds me of when I figured out how to get VST instruments loaded on a slave computer into pro tools using an ethernet cable, this was before VE pro was around. I used audioport as the host, then put the audioport plugins in bidule and rewired that into pro tools. That was cool, until I ran out of voices on my mix system.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
Pro Tools can be run AS a ReWire Slave via RME TotalMix

The TotalMix Loopback Virtual Audio Bus can port audio directly into other DAWs running in Master Mode and running on the SAME computer, and with minimal latency.
The RME audio device driver allows MULTIPLE applications all in Master Mode to be assigned to and running simultaneously inside TotalMix- the virtual mixer software for their audio devices- This is a Breakthrough!
This makes TotalMix the Master Host Application

Just control/click the radio button on the bottom of the TotalMix channel until it turns RED- then you can see how far the rabbit hole goes
The red button means the channel is now in loopback bus mode. You can take PT's multiple outputs and port it into another daw or daws

Page 62-
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/hdspeaio_e.pdf

Add this Virtual Audio Bus with the IAC Midi Driver and you have the 2 ingredients needs to run PT as a Rewire Slave. Just adjust the I/Os as to not get feedback.

This gives Major Advantages by allowing the Midi Features in other daws to play Pro Tools instruments and use PT effects
And RAM usability is SERIOUSLY improved as 32bit applications are now allowed 2 GB a piece instead of 2GB total. See Apogee's VBUS description for a better explanation. (Apogee unfortunately only works after the 32nd channel).

Adjust the Pro Tools windows as needed, this will save in your PT session and allows organized sharing of screen space.

Controllers $60 and $100 Low Cost and Space Effecient-
Use NanoKontrol2 with automap to control the PT fadars and NovationNocturn to control the elusive AIR effects..

RME is High Definition for cheap. Just look at the AIO card. $850 gets you pci-e performance and breakout cables (just to get started) and a host of I/O options.
Also takes 3rd party Adat I/O devices ranging from $300 to $1000

Hope this helps those of you who are looking for alternative ways to run Pro Tools..
Diccer
Nice advert, and congrats on figuring it out, but no thanks. This thread should be moved to Misc. because it has nothing to do with general use of Pro Tools 10.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM

The possible gains in RAM should interest people and is a big topic on this forum as it relates to 32bit applications vs 64bit.
And to run MULTIPLE programs in Parallel all tethered to the TotalMix allows for programs to run together that could not before.
So I think this RME program has a potential to solve some problems that are talked about everyday here on this general forum.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 AM

Default Re: A Game Changer!!-Pro Tools AS a Rewire Slave-with RME TotalMix!! &collectively64b

C'mon give the guy at least some credit for all the effort even if you won't use the idea.

So thanks for the post!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 AM

Default Re: A Game Changer!!-Pro Tools AS a Rewire Slave-with RME TotalMix!! &collectively64b

So I searched in the linked manual for the word "rewire" with no results. I see the explanations of the hardware and TotalMix, but where can I see about the use of rewire specifically with this product?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 AM

He's not technically using the rewire protocol, he is using totalmix as a substitute for it.

Sent from my sub-epic jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3g running on a cheap pay-as-you-go T-HOBObile plan using Tapatalk

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Well done.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
He's not technically using the rewire protocol, he is using totalmix as a substitute for it.
Sorry so then how is the sync happening between the programs? And is there one central entity saving everything so I don't have to keep saving like crazy in every separate program? Can I just go to open a TotalMix file and have it automatically open every app that's relevant to that project?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Sorry so then how is the sync happening between the programs? And is there one central entity saving everything so I don't have to keep saving like crazy in every separate program? Can I just go to open a TotalMix file and have it automatically open every app that's relevant to that project?
I would assume that because totalmix is the link to the audio interface, that all programs are resolving to the same clock signal(the RME's clock signal). That's the trick, more than one program can simultaneously access an RME interface at once via totalmix. Totalmix is essentially allowing him to connect i/o via software, the audio is being routed through the interface's onboard DSP mixer, but the totalmix software is essentially letting him patch the inputs and outputs of the RME's DSP mixer without having to use physical io and cables.

As far as saving goes, I don't think it will work the way rewire works, this is a workaround for something that's not supposed to be possible so file management is not going to be as streamlined as rewire.