Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 10:54 AM

Default WAVES plugins gold/platinum?? Help....

I have read that a lot of people on the forum use the Waves gold or platinum plugin bundle to aid in the mastering of their completed tracks...

Question - Which bundle, and or specific plugin, would be most beneficial to aid in the mastering process. I am still using an 001 system. My band is finishing our first disk. We are very happy with our mix/overall sound, but like so many are looking to gain a few more decibles and add the "sparkle" that some say mastering adds.

Right now, we are using the standard bundle of plugs that came with my 001 (la2a, 1176, dverb, etc...) and we use a small amount of limiter and compression on the master fader to help get rid of random peaks and allow us to normalize to a higher "volume".

Any advise on the topic would be MUCH APPRECIATED. Again, we are very happy with the over all quality, just wondering if one of the Waves bundles or 1 or 2 specific plugins could help us get a few more decibles and some more presence.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: WAVES plugins gold/platinum?? Help....

I just installed, and am still in the process of installing, my Waves Gold/Platinum upgrade I bought yesterday. There are some good plugs in there that will help: L2, MaxBass, RenVerb Supertap. They sound really good and I only used them for a little while.

Waves leaves a bit to be desired in install / authorization ease. The install CD has a Gold Bundle and Diamond Bundle.... where did the Platinum bundle go??? Anybody know? Acording to tech support I should have "installed the Diamond Bundle" but they don't bother to mention that I will then have to delete those plugs in the diamond bundle that I didn't buy. I tried installing an Platinum bundle that I downloaded... it wanted the previous installs deleted, I did it, then it wouldn't authorize. So I got to go back and re-install Gold, RenMax and Masters (RenMax and Masters appeared to make up the Platinum bundle...)

Then the iLock. To authorize the iLock your computer has to be connected to the internet. I couldn't find any information on how to iLock without connecting my dedicated DAW to the internet, and I wasn't going to do that. Tech support sent me an 18 step process to use my internet computer to do the authorization. Plus I had to download an iLock installer that I now have to install on both computers. Time to burn a CD....

So if I seem a little PO'd, I am. The plugs sound great but this is a PITA. I'll be on hour four of the install process and hopefully the last 18 steps.

Once I get them authorized all should run smooth from there. Although, when I launch PT it hangs for at least a minute while waves shell loads...

But they do sound good and I know they will take my recording to the next level. I've been using a 001 with the Factory Bundle.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:05 PM

JJhuntfox is right about the install/authorization being a bit out of control, but in the end this is for Waves to protect their investment. It's not their fault that there are so many dishonest software users in this world. Pro Audio plugin development probably isn't as lucrative as it seems. It's a very small part of the business world.

That said.. I have the Gold bundle and I can say that the Platinum Bundle includes everything in the Gold Bundle, plus the Mastering Bundle and the Rennessaince II bundle.
I personally find that the Gold bundle is enough for final EQ, Compression/Normalization type mastering for me (The L1, C4, Q10 and Ren Comp work really well for this in my opinion). I prefer to do things like that in a stereo wav editor like Sound Forge rather than in ProTools. None of this is as good as having your tracks professionally mastered though

http://www.ephemeralsun.com
Old 02-02-2004, 12:14 PM

Stuck again on iLock..at step #11... Waiting for tech support now. I totally want them to protect their investment but good god, this shouldn't take a day to complete. Since I just spent $1,000 on the upgrades I shouldn't be drug around by Waves like I'm a thief. I really have better things to be doing with my time.

Sorry to rant on your post. Just about everyone seems to love these plugs. That L2, in the platinum, sounds good, better than Maxim so far.

I started my own post so I won't rant in yours anymore. Try out some of the demos, but be carfull because in reading thier liturature it appears once you demo a plug you can't demo any others, but I may be wrong.

John

Old 02-02-2004, 02:10 PM

Hi!
For your own mastering (I highly suggest professional mastering for any project of value), I would suggest grabbing the demo of Waves Mastering Bundle for one, or even better- grab the Plat demo, and then figure which plugs you prefer. Waves linear plugs are awesome.

Also, you have Firium/Eqium bundle by Elemental Audio . Great Mastering EQ IMO. Combined with the Waves plugs, a great toolbox overall, with a few flavors to choose from, depending on project. (btw- EAS also has a free plugm Inspector. Worth the download IMO )

I replied in the other post on the Waves issue a person was having. A bit of reading could have avoided, or at least alleviated much of that problem. Sort of like buying a car, and then realizing your 4x12 cab wont fit. A little pre-purchase reading/research goes a long way, with ANY purchase. Waves tech support via phone is tops IMO, and their forum is checked at least daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:39 PM

Nikki,

I followed the instructions they supplied with the product. If they can't include current and up to date instructions is that my fault? If they wanted my to go to the web site and "read" they should have said so. Since you have been through this many times before I would assume you are up to speed on their process, I'm not.

Can you explain why there is no Platinum Bundle to install on the CD that came with the Platinum upgrade?

PS: I'm on hold for tech support... I just would like this to be over and done with. It is very time consuming and frustrating.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:22 PM

Hi!
Hehhe- I rarely even check cd's Iget anymore, cause most of the time, by the time I egt it, it has been out long enough for a revision, update, etc. If the revision, update, etc requires the original cd install, THEN I do it. Otherwise, the orig cd sits unused.

I am actually really diggin the new "downloadable" forms of purchase for alot fo things. Caters to the whole "Gimme!! NOW!!!" we all have inside us, and are reluctant to let shine thru all the time hehehe!

IR1 is the first Waves CD I have looked at in quite some time, and only because it has the impulses on it- hehehe. Even then I checked the site for updates first-loL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.