Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Default can i pass adat from a 003r to an adat bridge

if that's possible then very cool, it would save me buying another lightpipe pre unit to fill up the second adat bank on my adat bridge - i'm not infront of my gear for a few weeks, so i can't try it out....anyone know if the 003 can pass audio in this manner...that is synced by way of wordclock but not acting as the protools dongle..just acting as a lightpipe bridge

there is a lightpipe output on the back...fingers crossed
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Re: can i pass adat from a 003r to an adat bridge

It will work, under the following conditions:

1. the 003 needs it's own computer, as you'll need to open ptLE to route the pres to the lightpipe.
2. You'll need to sync word clock between the two systems. 888's etc. all have "slave clock" which although it has the same connector is different than word clock. If I remember right, ADAT bridges have a word clock out, so if you run a bnc from the adat bridge's word clock out to the 003's word clock in, then set the 003 to sync to incoming word clock you should be good.

Other options are to have both systems slave to a USD, blackburst generator and VSD, or some other external clock. This is the method I prefer, that way everything digital in your studio is always just set to slave and you don't have to worry about having sync problems as much.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:59 PM

thanks john - this is very cool

i snagged a usd a week or so ago...i think i got it for 10 bucks...ha ha...how i love buying up yesterday

thanks for the routing info...i'll let you know how it goes

so far my system i/o is

a mackie 24/8...and a few other pres...my fav inexpensive pre is a golden age

2 x 888/24

1 adat bridge, to be fed by 1 firestudio 26/26 and 1 digi 003r

this is 32 inputs at 48/24

all good - i have hit and exceeded target

ha ha...now to get home in 8 days and try to put all of this 'stuff' together...fingers crossed

cheers
stephen
Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Shoot me an email if you hit a snag, I can walk you through the setup process on skype if you need help.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 PM

thanks john - glad to have you around