Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Default What's with preview and faders not punching?

I've noticed this on PT8 and 9, on the D control and D command.

I set up a preview, level with the faders (either trim or touch), pan, EQ, dynamics ect.

I go to punch, and the fader levels to do not take.

Kind of embarrassing when you've got clients in the room, listening to a music stems rebalance, you punch, write to all, and play back, and the balance is completely off.

Its only the faders.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Default Re: What's with preview and faders not punching?

automation turned off maybe? check if "volume" is in italic. apple-click will toggle single parameters on/off.
but you might have checked that.

frank.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM

No. Automation is on.

Preview, level, EQ ect. Punch preview, fader return to previous written level, not the level I set in preview.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 AM

And you see the touched faders turn green, while in preview?

My first hunch is with Frank in that volume is deselected in the "Auto Enable" section, but if visually Pro Tools registers that you are clutching out the faders you are adjusting in preview, I would try a good ole Pref trash. I have had some pretty strange behavior get cleared up by just trashing prefs.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM

If you are in Touch/Latch automation mode this is what happens. Out the tracks in Latch and I think you are good.
Best
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
If you are in Touch/Latch automation mode this is what happens. Out the tracks in Latch and I think you are good.
Best
So If I'm in touch, it will not happen? But T/L is does. Just spoke to another mixer on the lot it happens to as well.

I'll try it out for the rest of the dub today, if I remember, and see what happens.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Best to be in latch to set up a mix and write to all (for best results).

Touch is only writing while you touch it, so it cant hold the value until you hit "write to all" - preview is just confusing the issue is my suspicion.

Technically you can be in touch and pull the fader to somewhere, hold it, and hit a write to function but its cumbersome to hold it there accurately while reaching for a second button.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM

I have trouble with this behavior any time I'm in Touch or Trim... so I just stick with Latch when I Preview and all acts as it should.

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM

I didn't say this earlier but I always work in touch/latch. When I preview fader automation (almost never, I just use preview to set gain staging and plug ins) I just punch preview for a second or so, then select the automation area I want and write to all. Done and fast.
Best
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
I didn't say this earlier but I always work in touch/latch. When I preview fader automation (almost never, I just use preview to set gain staging and plug ins) I just punch preview for a second or so, then select the automation area I want and write to all. Done and fast.
Best
That's pretty much how I work.

I like preview because its fast, I'm not fighting faders automation, and I switch between plugins, panning sends ect as I get a general balance.

Then I select the area (or I just hit stop) I want the automation, hit punch preview and write to all.

This is on a D Control as well, not with a mouse so I'm moving rather quickly when I'm doing this.

I'll just have to remember to be in latch and just do a "do to all" for the automation and put it back.

Touch is writing until you punch it out or stop. Touch/Latch writes only when you are touching the fader.

I rarely use latch mode though on the ICONs