Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 09:49 AM

Default Thoughts on Logic Pro live loops...

I just watched a YouTube video showing Logic Pro’s live loops in action. Pretty amazing stuff. If I was kid again starting out and producing EDM, I would be all over this. It makes Pro Tools look a bit like a dinosaur for certain types of music. I’m just curious as to what everyone else thinks of these new Logic features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNyDWKCx7k&t=314s
Old 05-26-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Logic Pro live loops...

I've been a Pro Tools user since PT 7, so a long time. I'm a home recordist duffer, not a seasoned vet engineer like lots of folks here on the DUC. Mucho respect for everyone who's helped me out here. This is an invaluable resource.

During the lockdown I've been learning Logic Pro X and it's damn impressive. At this point the idea of re-upping my perpetual license in December is a no-go.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:21 AM

Looks very similar to the Garageband thing I have on my phone which I open up now and again when I'm bored on a train. It's kind of fun, but I can't really imagine making actual music with it. (I'm 49 in December )
Old 05-27-2020, 05:28 PM

Its amazingly fast to cut ideas, and in fact Ive already done a radio spot with it. if youre worried about levels dump it into PT for LUFS. So many cool functions. PT is a different animal, in my opinion. Theyre trying but its not thier thing.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:18 PM

I started another thread a couple months ago about wondering whether Pro Tools was behind the curve when it came to other DAWs. Ultimately it’s all just apples and oranges. Pro Tools has been my bread-and-butter for a long time now but when I see fancy newer programs like logic pro and its ability to just get something really creative going quickly, I wonder if I should switch. I do have both ProTools 2020 and logic pro on my computer and they are just completely different animals. But when I first loaded up logic pro and started playing with it, I had some really cool things down pretty quickly. I know it would’ve taken a lot longer in ProTools. I would’ve had to drag in all these different plug-ins and jump through a lot more hoops than I would with logic pro. Most home studio pros I know these days tend to favor logic just because you can get a basic track going pretty quickly.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:11 AM

Further to my earlier slightly disparaging comment, I just loaded in a loop I created to Logic and messed around with the remix plugin while recording in realtime to Tools - and it's worked a treat! Just goes to show eh.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Furthering the Wild Kingdom analogy, I don't think of PT and Logic as different animals but they are certainly different species. Pro Tools is great if you're an engineer at a large studio with different bands and different producers coming in every night. Pro Tools is great if you're in radio production and you need to hash together ten spots by noon (I've done that).

But Logic Pro might be ideally designed for the project studio musician who wants to spend her or his time creating music, bringing up tracks, recording, looping, and mixing. I'm still more comfortable editing in PT but damn this Logic thing is fun.

And stable. There's something to be said for a DAW created exclusively for the OS. Apple is the wealthiest company in the history of commerce. They don't need Logic to make money the way Avid needs PT for revenue. Apple wants Logic to sell Macs. They pat the Logic division on the head and say, "you guys just keep making your DAW as good as you can. Let us know if you have questions about the OS. You guys are so cute!"
Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 PM

I switched to Logic five years ago having used PT as main DAW for 14 years. I use both now. Logic as my main DAW for composing and PT as a glorified tape deck (to deliver stems and sessions to sound teams in post). Logic is amazing and the new 10.5 update is incredible. So many new features and improvements to what was already miles ahead of PT in the MIDI department.

PT still has its uses for composers, but it is very overpriced as a subscription for, let's face it, not much in terms of new features over the last few years. Can't even think when the last time I got excited by a PT update. Folder tracks? Is that it? Logic has had those for years. At this point I only pay for a PT subscription to stay compatible with Mac OS. The annual subscription costs pretty much the same as buying Logic outright (and with free updates). I can afford it, but If I were a young composer starting out it would be a no brainer: Logic all the way. Or Ableton. They are apps that focus on getting musical ideas down, and quickly.

Does anyone feel they’re really getting value for money with a PT perpetual licence and an annual subscription? Most of us just put up with it because we’re dug in, but the new generation are not. Of course Avid can't compete with Apple, but cost aside, I don't feel any passion or excitement from the development of PT in recent years. I'm not going to speculate as to why, but as someone who wants PT to stick around and improve, I hope that one day Avid can find their way back to making PT both good value for money and something to get excited about.