Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-10-2019, 03:51 AM

Default Mojave-related question (Mac Mini & MBPro Retina late 2013)

I‘m about to buy a Mac Mini (latest 2018 model)
Since it comes with Catalina preinstalled, I will try to revert it back to a fresh Mojave install to ensure compatibility with PT, but also with 3rd-party plugins.

Any thoughts, advice and experience on this, since I guess, HighSierra on the new MacMini is not possible...

As an additional question: my MacBook Pro Retina late 2013 still is running on High Sierra. I know: never change a running system, but still - Mojave yes or no? And: is there any advantage or reason, that BOTH PT connected computers should run on the same OS? (To be more specific: they are not physically connected, just exchanging audio and virtual instruments-projects, that I started „on the road“ on the MacBook. And: planning to get VEP included in larger projects).

Thanks!

Last edited by dvdr; 11-10-2019 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Being more specific in my explanation
Old 11-10-2019, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Mojave-related question (Mac Mini & MBPro Retina late 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdr View Post
I‘m about to buy a Mac Mini.
Since it comes with Catalina preinstalled, I will try to revert it back to a fresh Mojave install to ensure compatibility with PT, but also with 3rd-party plugins.

Any thoughts, advice and experience on this, since I guess, HighSierra on the new MacMini is not possible...

As an additional question: my MacBook Pro Retina late 2013 still is running on High Sierra. I know: never change a running system, but still - Mojave yes or no? And: is there any advantage or reason, that BOTH PT connected computers should run on the same OS?

Thanks!
How are they connected? If by way of VEPro I know they say it's optimal that both machines run the same operating system. Not mandatory but optimal. As far as backdating the new Mini it depends on what exact model you're getting and when it was released. A late 2018 Mini came with/was released with Mojave. A late 2014 could go as far back as OSX10.10.x

QAPLA!
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Mojave-related question (Mac Mini & MBPro Retina late 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How are they connected? If by way of VEPro I know they say it's optimal that both machines run the same operating system. ...A late 2018 Mini came with/was released with Mojave.
Thanks, updated my post to be more specific...
I do have VEP Pro and plan to use it in the future - maybe even on a dedicated powerful Windows machine. The „connection“ are projects, that I start on the MacBook and move to & continue on the larger machine.
And: I am planning to buy a maxed out 2018 Mac Mini - was thinking of a used trashcan, first, but reading about things like connectivity etc., got me thinking...