Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Proper recording's

Cpu...2001 win xp
pentium 4
P-3
Fast track pro-usb
akg 120 perception mic
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3
1 1/2 yrs exp.
Underground rapper

For a while now, I've been recording my sessions, without touching any level's of any sort. I, Open up a new track and start recording. The meter that shows green, yellow, and red in the track, in the mix window, I've never touched. I've only adjusted the the Mic volume, but I do notice now that I can go so loud, before I start clipping.

I turned down the meter this time, but I can barely hear myself in the headphones, so I turn up the Mic some more, but now, my recording are too loud. When the meter is down, I cant hear anything and if I turn up the mic, the meter doesn't really do anything. when I record with the meter down and the mic higher than the meter, the meter jumps passed where it sitting, because the mic was higher.I know this is very confusing, but if you know the proper way to record vocals, please let me know.

when recording vocals does the mix window track meter, need to be down in order, to get proper recordings?

What are the proper steps to recording vocals? I may not be using the equipment properly.

What exactly is the Mix knob's job?

Thank you
Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Proper recording's

welcome to the money pit.

I find the knobs on the FTP don't have enough sweep on them. I've had my best luck with a Presonus Studio Channel and running my vocal mic through that. It allows me to put compression on the vox as well as any EQ if I so desire, although I like to do the EQ on the track with a plugin. The SC has phantom power, a -20 db pad, a tube mic preamp, and the ability to add a volume boost to the mic signal if necessary. Compression going in really helps at keeping the levels more constant. This is hardware compression with a soft knee not a plugin so make sure you have it set right for your voice.

I also run the signal from the Studio channel into a dbx 166xl and use the limiter to prevent clipping and the noise gate to eliminate outside noise since I don't have a great room.

Then I usually run my backing track through headphones, I use my AKG K240s because they're not totally isolating and I can hear myself better. I set my mix knob on the FTP to around 10:00. I also ended up using a headphone amp straight from the headphone jack (it's line level turned up full). I also mute the vocal track while I'm recording so I don't have to deal with any latency, and the only vox I'm hearing (other than what's already recorded) is direct from the mic.

Also make sure you're about a foot off your mic and have a good pop screen. Leave the sliders in the mix window alone.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Proper recording's

Wow, this is very awesome info. "Money pit" just like the movie.LOL. Anyhow, so when Im recording myself, is it ok to have plugins already on the track to help out my recording's. Or do I record raw? That what it sounds like you seem to do with your hardware. Basically, I have to buy some hardware so, I can get more out of my recordings. This system is just to get your tongue wet really. Finall question, Is the way I'm recording now, plus some good mixing of course, good for now?

Thank you.