Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Gear Makers Risk Financial Ruin

An interesting Read:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...nancial-695958
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Gear Makers Risk Financial Ruin

What a depressing thought.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Lightbulb Re: Gear Makers Risk Financial Ruin

Some deals are... clearly designed to give the purchasing company a solid base in IT and IP video processing and transport.

I just had a thought while reading that. Right now you can capture either baseband audio and video or encoded audio and video. Baseband is either analog or digital. Encoded, while oversimplified to present my point, is either Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD. Playout reverses this process (encoded-->baseband) at the device closest to where the user pressed play (workstation).

What if the conversion of encoded to baseband happened closer to or at the display? Maybe that's where things are going. Maybe that is where some companies can partner up and fuel explosive growth to their profit margins.

Last edited by Chief Technician; 04-19-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM

This has been the context of Avid's financial problems for a long time. They are doing better relatively than most pro media production suppliers. The cause has been the consolidation of their biggest customers combined with their smallest customers' lack of budgets. It's not pretty at all.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Also the major transition from SD to HD has happened, sales are going to be down post conversion plus a slow economy

I know that some smaller market TV news is still done in SD but I think there going to stay that way until they have to replace their equipment

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Question Re: Gear Makers Risk Financial Ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Also the major transition from SD to HD has happened, sales are going to be down post conversion plus a slow economy
The collective tried to restart this process with 3D. As a tech, I am thankful that they failed. Twice the storage? Twice the bandwidth? Twice the headaches? No thank you.

Now the collective is trying to restart the process again with 4k. They are gaining traction in this regard. 4k actually requires four times the storage and four times the bandwidth. Will it be four times the headaches? I don't know. The facility I work at has most of its revenue come from network promos, so until networks starting producing their programming in 4k and start broadcasting in 4k, I can wait to see how things play out (no pun intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I know that some smaller market TV news is still done in SD but I think there going to stay that way until they have to replace their equipment
Are those lower power stations that still broadcast in SD? If not, are they upconverting to HD or just broadcasting an SD signal in an HD channel?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM

The consumer electronics industry is endlessly attempting planned obsolescence. They got away with it by calling compressed digital TV "HD."

An elephant in the room is the fact that Hollywood stopped shooting 65mm film because nobody could afford the quality of lighting, sets, props, makeup and wardrobe required to make a picture believable. Now you can dumb resolution down with CGI but hello? Combine that with the horrendous losses in cable and satellite TV and it's clearly a solution in search of a problem. My friend at Viacom tells me the suits are hoping 4k can reduce the number of cameras employed by creating all close-up and medium shots in post. Again, picture quality?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Post Re: Gear Makers Risk Financial Ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
My friend at Viacom tells me the suits are hoping 4k can reduce the number of cameras employed by creating all close-up and medium shots in post. Again, picture quality?
Just because you could doesn't mean you should.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM

A race to the bottom...
Old 04-20-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

My friend at Viacom tells me the suits are hoping 4k can reduce the number of cameras employed by creating all close-up and medium shots in post. Again, picture quality?

That wouldn't be as noticeable as the old days of using an optical printer for dissolves, or blow-ups.

In fact it's pretty common to shoot at 5K, and do a 4K, or even 2K extraction for image stabilisation, or reframing purposes.

However, for T.V. whilst it might sound like a good idea, in terms of looking at costs saved on equipment purchases on a budget sheet - in practical terms it's going to be way quicker, more decisive, and cheaper to have the close up filmed discretely, from the correct angle, than to have it fudged, either in post, or on the live video mixer.

How many people are actually going to want to go out and buy a (bare minimum of) 55" TV in order to be able to appreciate the increased resolution of a 4K image, is a different matter.

You'll still find that an awful lot of theatres are actually projecting a true 2K image, that is upscaled to 4K.

I don't know about you, but my lounge isn't big enough to accommodate a 60 foot screen, so I'm not too worried about 4K in a domestic setting.