Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 AM

Default Samples delay on Reverb Aux track?

HI,

I appreciate that if you have a vocal track and and insert a reverb plugin that causes sample delay, then you'd need to nudge the track in order to compensate for what the plugin on the insert is doing.

But,

How does it work if you've set up a Reverb on an Aux track with a 'send and return' using a Buss. The Reverb plugin shows the delay on the Aux track, obviously, as this is the track where the plugin has been inserted.

Do I still have to nudge my vocal track, or is it in some way different as it's the Aux track that has samples delay rather than the Audio track?

(Also, imagine it's a compressor and not a reverb - before I get replies about changing the reverb rate to compensate rather than how the system works!)

Old 01-10-2012, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Samples delay on Reverb Aux track?

It depends on your "Mix" level in the plug-in. For example, typically a Reverb (or Delay) will be 100% Wet. So your Dry signal comes from the channel. That channel Sends to the Reverb. And the Aux Channel is Reverb only.
In which case, yes technically the Reverb may have some delay to it, but nudging ahead your Dry signal will cause it to be early.
If, however, it were a Compressor, there would be no Dry signal present. All of the Dry signal would go through the Compressor, and you would only listen to the post-effected signal. In which case, if there was some delay, you would nudge ahead the Dry track. This way, the processed signal would have the same (compensated) timing as the original Dry signal.

Did I understand your question correctly?
Does this help? (Probably not! haha) I hope it did...
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks.

I think I'm going to try and move to ADC in PT9 or 10 anyway.........

Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM

most reverbs have a pre-delay setting, just lower that number a bit if it's to far out
(I find a 1/128th note to be a good pre-delay amount)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 AM

Another way to do it is to route everything thru a aux before it goes to the master, and adjust the timing on that aux.

Not only reverbs but some other plugins have really large latency. Solution: The latent track directly to master, everything else thru the short delay on the aux.